This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14404 by sehutson
Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:17 pm
Hello!

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me troubleshoot call quality issues. Sometimes it's great, other times I get complaints of the line sounding static-y, and breaking up. During those times, I'm able to hear the other person cursing at my phone (lol), but they can't hear me. Order of connection is Modem > Router > Ooma. My husband connected the Ooma, and he said he couldn't get our network to work when it was Modem > Ooma > Router, I believe he said that Ooma would work, but no internet. I don't know much about networking, so I would like to apologize in advance. He swore he would work on it.... A few months ago. So here we are. lol. Results of speed test:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4567584 bps
Upload speed: 3199808 bps
Download quality of service: 59 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 107 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 75 ms
Average round trip time to server: 76 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 17600000bps
Route concurrency: 3.8532405
Download TCP forced idle: 61 %
Maximum route speed: 6990400bps

Thanks for any suggestions you might have,

Sarah

P.S. We have cable internet if that matters.
#14405 by ggilman
Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:34 pm
Welcome to the boards.

From your numbers, the one that stands out is: "Download quality of service: 59 %". The only other thing that stands out to me is that your upload speed seems high compared to the download. Usually download quite a bit higher and in your case, the numbers aren't that different. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just unusual.

Since your quality results change over time, was this sample measurement taken when you had good or bad quality? The numbers you posted will likely change in direct correspondance to your precieved quality.

Also, with your ooma being behind the router, do you have the capabilities to set up QoS on the router and if so, how is it set up?

With respect to quality varying over time, this is an issue with the way cable modems work. On DSL, your line is dedicated to your traffic only so results between you and the ISP are generally steady. With cable modems, though the max speeds are higher, you are sharing the bandwidth with your neighbors. Thus, at times when your neighbors are all using the net, your speeds will go down as a result.

That isn't to say you should have bad quality. Your speeds go up and down over time on a cable modem, far more so than on DSL, but you should still be able to support an ooma easily enough.
#14411 by sehutson
Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:07 pm
We do have the ability to set up QoS, but it was not set up. I do not see options on my setup to set specific numbers like some of the other posts, but it does allow me to enter Ooma's mac and give it high priority. Hopefully this will help. Thank you for taking the time to give me a brief overview, and explaining things. :-D
#14417 by WayneDsr
Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:58 pm
You might let us know what type of router you have and maybe one of us are familier with it and can help you set it up. The mac priority will work if your network activity interfers with ooma. Keep us informed on your experience and we'll all try help.
We have a good group here. And while I'm at it, Welcome to the ooma forums!

Wayne