This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14502 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:38 am
I know this will be tough, but if you can do some test calls while watching the Cable Modem status page to see if those quality probably coincide with specific changes in the cable modem performance.

It sounds like you've already done everything you can do besides looking for that one piece of evidence to help the ISP help you.

I don't know if this is possible, but if the Surfboard can be shelled into (Linux or VxWorks should support this if it is not explicitly blocked or turned off) you might be able to find a more detailed log. I did that just on a whim with my DSL modem and found the details that led to my solution.

I wonder if there is some tool you can download to do continuous monitoring and logging of your ISP performance and quality of service metrics.

Scott
#14503 by mrjagster
Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:58 am
Just to relate my own experience...

I had a surfboard modem that owned for less than thirty days. I was also told by Comcast the cabling had to be replaced from the street to the house which they did. A Comcast installer had to come out and connect the modem (a complete waste of tech time and my time and money). After about 20 days the modem ceased to work. After calls to both Comast and Motorola it was determined by Motorola that the incoming signals were so far out of range they burned up the modems insides. Motorola did replace the modem under warranty. Comcast solution rent me the same modem they burned up and not make any adjustments to the incoming signal.

My solution: Dump Comcast and go to dsl which I did.
#14505 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:11 pm
mrjagster wrote:My solution: Dump Comcast and go to dsl which I did.

I had cable ISP service for over a decade with three different companies (Time Warner, Adelphia, Comcast) and last year switched to QWest DSL to save money since it was $20/mo cheaper for relatively the same advertised service. I have far fewer problems with DSL than I had with Cable. However, I don't want to say DSL is awesome, and cable sucks. I have had my share of troubles with DSL but it seems to be far more reliable and consistent than cable. That's just one man's experience, but from my view moving to DSL was a great decision. DSL also seems to have better QoS metrics for VOIP than cable does. So if you are considering a switch for the reason Mr. Jagster did, I am here vouching for similar experiences as well.

Scott