This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#16393 by Aveamantium
Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:44 am
Do you have high LAN activity during the call (torrents, downloads, etc.)? If you have the hub between the modem and the router the default for downstream qos is "0" which means it will be disabled. You can change this by logging into setup.ooma.com and putting in your actual ISP speeds (as tested at a place like http://www.speedtest.net/) in the Quality of Service fields in the Advanced section.
#16394 by dtalwar
Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:48 am
For crwmlw and wnl both, the download tcp forced idle is 50-53%. Does anyone know what this means for a network?
#16395 by Aveamantium
Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:54 am
Reports TCP forced idle %, this identifies TCP idle time invoked because the route being tested is too slow end-to-end and the TCP stack is forced to idle. The TCP Forced Idle Percent allows customers to assess the capacity
for a connection to sustain more than one TCP session without
degradation to other TCP sessions.

For example, if a connection shows 50 percent forced idle another FTP session could be run with little to no impact to the first download session. In this case, if a download service supports multiple connections the throughput could be doubled by allowing the transfer to use two connections.
#16397 by dtalwar
Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:57 am
If I am reading it right, then a high value is good ... and if anything it should help with the voice quality.
#16405 by wnl
Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:56 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Do you have high LAN activity during the call (torrents, downloads, etc.)?

In my case, no. WAN utilization remains below 150 kbps (as measured by mrtg). I have the ooma hub behind the router.

15 minutes after posting that the problems went away and the rest of my calls this afternoon have been fine. But this seems to happen every day.