This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14475 by crwmlw
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:27 am
Ok thanks. I have it wired like you said. Modem to router then to Ooma Hub. What should the settings be under setup.ooma.com / advanced?
#14477 by crwmlw
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:34 am
Ok disregard that setup. Just tried it and its the worst its been. So I went back to installing it between modem and router.
#14478 by niknak
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:35 am
...What should the settings be under setup.ooma.com / advanced?..

Take it one step at a time
leave those settings alone for now and test the call quality.
also rerun the speed tests and check the results vs. previous setup
many users here do nothing with the QOS settings if not needed.
(Actually since the hub is now behind the router you want to keep the QOS settings on the hub to 0 - they will not control your packet flow from this location)
Later on if necessary you can implement QOS from your router's configuration page
#15030 by TSharp
Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:36 pm
I have been watching these posts to see if a solution can be found;I have had Ooma since their beginning with excellent service until the last two weeks when I developed the same problem with callers having difficulty hearing me whereas I hear them perfectly;they state that my connection is breaking up;I have made no changes in my phone lines over the years, purchased a new computer two months ago so it is suspicious to me that this problem suddenly starts;even worse the customer service rep had never heard of this problem despite the posts on this forum-the forum should be required reading for them to anticipate customer questions. So I am just observing to see if you all find an answer.
#15082 by TSharp
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:19 am
I decided to take the first step and go to QOS and update my upload speed;this seems to have solved the problem,callers hear me loud and clear.
#15083 by niknak
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:33 am
Congratulations on solving the problem. Others on this forum could learn from your troubleshooting skills
#15200 by tommies
Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:08 pm
crwmlw wrote:Ok thanks. I have it wired like you said. Modem to router then to Ooma Hub. What should the settings be under setup.ooma.com / advanced?

One thing I recommend is to go to Network page and change ooma to use it build in MAC address for is MODEM port. If let at default setting (ooma called automatic) you is risking the problem of colliding ip addresses between ooma and one of your pc: if you check it out, you see that ooma (default) MAC address is the same as the MAC address of your pc NIC.
#16261 by crwmlw
Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:10 pm
Ok still crappy. The newest thing is the phone calls being very choppy. The other person can here me but I only get bits and pieces of the other party. I have it setup where the modem goes to the hub then from the hub to wireless router. I tried setting it up like other person mentioned and no go, it was worse. Any simple ideas on how to fix this?
#16388 by wnl
Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:26 am
I am having similar issues. Calls I place sound terrible on my end. Not sure if the person on the other end can hear me because when I ask I can't understand the answer. Problem seems to be worst in the afternoon. This started very recently, within the past week. I also tried to place a call this afternoon and got a recording saying that "due to high call volume your call could not be completed." I don't know if that was ooma telling me that or some place in the exchange I was calling.

Here are the results of a test I just ran, when this problem was at its peak. My only concern is the high jitter. The throughput is lower than normal, but still should be adequate for ooma. I don't know what "Download forced TCP idle" means or if 53% is bad.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3812928 bps
Upload speed: 3516088 bps
Download quality of service: 96 %
Upload quality of service: 96 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 69 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 68 ms
Average round trip time to server: 69 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 16000000bps
Route concurrency: 4.1962504
Download TCP forced idle: 53 %
Maximum route speed: 7710000bps
#16392 by dtalwar
Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:43 am
I was wondering about that myself --- download TCP forced idle. Mine is 0% and the call quality is very reasonable.