This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14384 by WayneDsr
Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:58 am
Plug ooma from MODEM to any open port on your router, just as you would any pc. You may have to power cycle (turn off, wait, turn on) your router and modem for everything to reset.

Wayne
#14388 by crwmlw
Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:04 pm
And nothing connected to Home port? What will I benefit by doing this opposed to the way I have it hooked up now? just curious
#14389 by WayneDsr
Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:07 pm
No, nothing gets plugged into the HOME port.

Well if it works, that's benefit number one! :-)
The other benefit is you can use your router for Quality control and evern Mac address / ip / port for priority control of your ooma device.

Wayne
#14390 by crwmlw
Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 pm
Ok after i set those numbers to 0 and restated the PC connection is much quicker while on the phone. Maybe I needed to restart? Should I still hook up the hub the way you said or leave it and see what happens? Thanks but that talk confuses me. LOL :-) I have no idea what that means. The other benefit is you can use your router for Quality control and evern Mac address / ip / port for priority control of your ooma device
#14392 by WayneDsr
Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:12 pm
If it works for you now, hang in there for awhile and see how it works.
And relax..... enjoy free calling and if you have any issues we'll all try to help you out. We have a good group here!

Wayne
#14394 by crwmlw
Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 pm
Yes we do. I really apprciate all the help. The reason I have so many questions is because If ooma doesnt work out I have 30 days to return it. thanks again
#14461 by crwmlw
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:38 am
Still so so. Ok after using the phone quite a bit since I changed those settings to 0 most calls seem to break up a little bit. What do you think the next step should be?
#14463 by niknak
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:47 am
...how do I hook it up that way?...

Just plug the hub into one of the router's ethernet ports

like so... modem --> router --> ooma

Power down all network device then power up in order
1.modem
2.router
3.ooma

note: ethernet port on router goes to modem port on ooma hub
#14465 by crwmlw
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:54 am
Thanks. I know its a silly question. what will this do opposed to the way I have it now? Also do I keep those settings as far as upstream internet speed and download internet speed at 0 if I hook it up this way?
#14467 by niknak
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:06 am
depending on your router / modem combination it just works better for some people this way
It is about how your packets are being passed through your network

The way to solve your problem is to make a small change at a time then analyze the results, so yes, keep the setting where they are for now

With all the good folks here to help and ooma CS, i'm sure you will get good results as long as you have a good internet connection