This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14297 by crwmlw
Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Hi everyone Ive had ooma for about 2 weeks now and the last couple of days while on the phone with my wife I've noticed the quality has been getting worse. If I call home (ooma) from my Verizon cell phone she says she can here me fine but on my end its very choppy and Im getting every other word. Seeing im new to this what can you recommend? Thanks, Chuck
#14304 by whn
Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:41 pm
crwmlw wrote:Hi everyone Ive had ooma for about 2 weeks now and the last couple of days while on the phone with my wife I've noticed the quality has been getting worse. If I call home (ooma) from my Verizon cell phone she says she can here me fine but on my end its very choppy and Im getting every other word. Seeing im new to this what can you recommend? Thanks, Chuck

Without seeing your ISP test results, I can guess 2 things already without you having to post any results.

1. Your Jitter is way off

2. Your QoS is bad

Call your ISP and have them go on a fishing expedition to find the QOS and Jitter problems that perhaps are known problems of the OOMA Hub or sytem that OOMA will not admit fully.

I dunno.

My sincere suggestion is this:

Try any other VOIP for a month with the same ISP and see what results you get in terms of voice quality.

Im going to do that this month with 2 other services to see if it's really my ISP.

I can't get rid of OOMA because I have my 2 numbers tied to it right now and paid for 1 year of premier already ---- the only thing I like is the blacklist feature and I use it as a voicemail machine now.

I dont dare make any important calls with it because I have the same problems as you. No one can hear correctly since my voice breaks up a lot.

My neighbor has the same ISP as me and same speed, he has Vonage and it's crystal clear.

So it's something with OOMA but no one here will ever admit it's POSSIBLY something with OOMA hub not working properly.

Just my opinion.

I'll let the cheerleaders take over now.

Good luck Crwmlw !

P.S. Don't eat the brownies they are passing around.
#14305 by Aveamantium
Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:05 pm
Thank you WHN for you insightful comments! :)

I might add to WHN's comments in case they didn't help. Can you please post a little more about your configuration such as where the ooma is located relative to your modem and router. Can you do a test at a place like testyourvoip.com and post your results. Also can you tell me if there is any other LAN activity going on at the time of the calls?

The first thing I would try (if it is not set up this way already) is to put the ooma between the modem and the router. After you have done this go to an internet speed test site such as http://www.speedtest.net/ and run a series of tests. Note your upload speed (as this seems to be the area that you're having issues with). Log onto the ooma hub by going to setup.ooma.com. Go to the "advanced" page and enter the value that you got from the test site (needs to be in kbps) in the Upstream Internet Speed Field. Seeing as how you don't seem to be having issues in the download direction (wife can hear you ok) you can leave the downstream internet direction at "0" as this will disable Qos in this direction. See if this helps!
#14308 by niknak
Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:46 pm
A good test site is here:

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Post your advanced results and someone will be able ho help you analyze them

Just a note if you are using cable - try test calls at different times of the day since your cable network speed is influenced by your neighborhood's use of available bandwidth. Worst times usually are between 3PM - 6PM and 7PM - 9PM
#14360 by crwmlw
Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:27 am
Ok the modem ethernet cable goes from the modem to modem port on hub then from the hub home port to router. Here are the specs
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5342296 bps
Upload speed: 173832 bps
Download quality of service: 69 %
Upload quality of service: 85 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 44 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 75 ms
Average round trip time to server: 77 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 13600000bps
Route concurrency: 2.545722
Download TCP forced idle: 50 %
Maximum route speed: 6990400bps
#14362 by Aveamantium
Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:40 am
ISP tests look good... Did you try setting up the Qos on the setup.ooma.com page like I mentioned above?
#14367 by Aveamantium
Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:09 am
About 174 kbps... Is that what your upload speed is supposed to be?

Try the speedtest.net website (make sure no one is using the phone at the time of the test).
#14372 by Aveamantium
Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:17 am
crwmlw wrote:http://www.whichvoip is Upload speed: 173832 bps
and speedtest is 9.58 Mb/s

Is 9.58 MB/s your upload? I only ask this as that is higher than most have? Looks more like a download speed.