This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14120 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:55 pm
cholme wrote:Perhaps I am talking to the wrong person. I have talked to support 2x and they just keep telling me that once my number is ported over it will fix everything. But frankly, that makes no sense to me. I don't understand why calling over the internet would be effected by my phone service. It happens on both incoming and outgoing calls.

Not quite sure why they are telling you this??? Shouldn't make any difference what "number" you're using? Am I missing something?? You might see if you can get this elevated to an engineer as your ISP numbers look good. By the way, I get terrible Qos scores at that test site (seems to happen if you have a ISP whose speed fluctuates), and my voice quality is fine.
#14124 by bw1
Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:42 am
Aveamantium wrote:
bw1 wrote:Quality Of Service (?)
Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 15000 (0 to disable)
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 1000 (0 to disable)

Try that and see if it makes a difference.

Don't you mean Download Internet Speed 15000 kbps

Upstream Internet Speed 1000 kbps?

Just double checking! :)

You are correct, I had them backwards.
#14125 by bw1
Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:16 am
Aveamantium wrote:
cholme wrote:Perhaps I am talking to the wrong person. I have talked to support 2x and they just keep telling me that once my number is ported over it will fix everything. But frankly, that makes no sense to me. I don't understand why calling over the internet would be effected by my phone service. It happens on both incoming and outgoing calls.

Not quite sure why they are telling you this??? Shouldn't make any difference what "number" you're using? Am I missing something?? You might see if you can get this elevated to an engineer as your ISP numbers look good. By the way, I get terrible Qos scores at that test site (seems to happen if you have a ISP whose speed fluctuates), and my voice quality is fine.

I agree, I don't know why porting your number would make any difference. Are you using Ooma now with an integrated landline or standalone? In other words, when you activated Ooma, did you select to use it with your existing phone number or did you select a new phone number from Ooma?

The QOS scores on that speed test site says that the % indicates that your connection produces a constant stream of data or not. And says that this is key to providing a high quality voice-over-IP connection.

Seems to me if your not able to stream the data packets carrying the voice at a constant stream, then you're going to have lower call quality.

Having cable internet, I don't always have very high numbers either, and still get good call quality. Perhaps, the Ooma system can compensate to some degree.

Here are my test results from this morning:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2033264 bps
Upload speed: 1098440 bps
Download quality of service: 93 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 33 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 78 ms
Average round trip time to server: 81 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2080000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0229857
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 6721536bps

Have you run the test without Ooma connected to see if that makes any difference?

I still suspect that it's an ISP issue and you need to contact your cable provider.

But I would consider stopping your port until this is resolved, if you can't live with the call quality now.

Also, if you do contact Ooma support again, ask to be escalated to get it resolved.
#14127 by scottlindner
Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:43 am

It doesn't make any sense at all. Call quality is not related to the telephone number.

Can you access your cable modem status page so we can see if you are having cable modem issues? It is a fairly common problem and people never know they have a problem with their service.

Can you describe your configuration a bit? If it is in this thread I missed it.

I'm concerned about your low QoS scores. When you ran the test did you turn off anti-virus software first? I have found AV software gives most test sites the fits.

Another thought to try, the flat network cable always bothered me. There is a minimum bend radius and the flat cable can allow you to exceed that. If you have another network cable, could you try that? I know it's a long shot, but your call quality shouldn't be a problem.

Scott