This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#13889 by cholme
Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:28 pm
I just hooked up my ooma and am very disappointed with the quality. I have Cable internet. The calls sound like I am trying to talk under water. The tech support guy at ooma told me that once the number porting is complete the voice will clear up. Is that true? He guaranteed I would have clear calls.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I am feeling like I made a mistake.
#13891 by scottlindner
Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:11 am
That doesn't make any sense to me. As far as I know, there is no relationship between number porting and call quality.

Have someone call your temporary Ooma number to see if the problem exists with that as well.

How do you have your Ooma Hub configured physically? Is it the first device after your cable modem, or is it after a router?

From a PC in your home can you run this speed test and post the results?
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Scott
#13901 by StevenJohn
Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:51 am
There are several good people on this forum that can help you with call quality. I got lucky and my ooma call quality was great right from the beginning. After about two months my outgoing call quality started sounding like the calls you described. Incoming calls never caused a problem. I run the tests that Scott recommend for you. I found packet losses that were too high. I called the cable service and they found my cable modem was bad. It was still working good enough for great downloads and surfing, but not good enough for VoIP. A new modem took care of the problem.

sj
#14261 by cholme
Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:01 pm
I have to stand corrected. I had Ooma issue me a temporary number to test before the porting and low and behold my quality issues cleared up.
#14262 by Aveamantium
Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:09 pm
Wow! Did they elaborate on the reason behind this?

When you say ooma issued you a temporary number to test, what were you using before?
#14347 by cholme
Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:09 am
While I was in the process of porting my number, I was using it hooked up to a landline. I thought that the way it would work is that the incoming calls would come through my landline and the outgoing would go through the broadband... apparently not. Once I was able to disconnect the landline, the quality issues cleared up.