This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#13870 by dhkkim
Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:18 pm
I have Fiber Optic internet. [100/100Mbps]

I tested my speed on Los Angeles Server (@speakeasy).
My result was 3800kbps down / 5900kbps up.
Anyway, i get about 10mbps with my wireless G router. Ping was 5.8ms or 4.2ms. Direct connection gives me about 80-90mbps speed.

Okay, that is my internet speed. I plugged ooma on my router because i did not want to loose my network settings.(i have ps3 and other stuff plugged into my router). I did forward some ports for ooma.

After few modem restart.
It works like charm!

I called my girlfriend's cellphone and voice quality was good and i didnt feel any delay over ooma.

Fewtimes, I heard static noises but overall it was not bad. However, it is definitely better than skype.

I don't know how to compare sound quality of VOIP, but skype sounds like 32kbps mp3 sound while ooma sounds like 64kbps-96kbps mp3 sound quality. I have no regret of getting ooma and I will recommend ooma to my friends.
#13871 by southsound
Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:24 pm
Great to hear that things are working well for you. And that you are able to have a US number and great quality in South Korea.

Welcome to ooma! Since you'll be a great source of actual experience from Asia, make sure to visit the forum often. :cool:
#91535 by qbui
Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:20 pm
Hello,
Can you tell me if you are still having good experience with calling to South Korea? I have been trying to call my friend in South Korea many times and is unable to get through. Most of the time, it would ring and then I get unable to connect at this time, try again later or something like that. Once in awhile, it would ring the phone but then cut off after a few seconds. I'm using speed dial so the number is correct since it does connect for a few seconds once in awhile.
#91537 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:57 pm
dhkkim is using Ooma in Korea so probably not the right person to ask :)

Are you dialing Korea correctly?

Look here: http://www.howtocallabroad.com/south-korea/

• 011 - US exit code; must be dialed first for all international calls made from the USA or Canada
  • 82 - Country Code for South Korea
  • area code - 1 digit for the capital Seoul and 2 digits for all other areas
  • phone number - 6 - 8 digits; area code followed by number total 8 or 9 digits for most landlines

For example, a Seoul Costco listed number is +82 2-572-5959

The way you dial using Ooma is 011 82 2 572 5959
Last edited by lbmofo on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#91538 by thunderbird
Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:10 pm
lbmofo wrote:The OP was using Ooma in Korea so probably not the right person to ask :)

Think about it a little, the Ooma device "thinks" it's in the USA, because it still goes through the Ooma Servers in the USA, so when placing a call from an Ooma device in located Korea, would still be "considered" a call from the USA to Korea.
#91540 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:12 pm
thunderbird wrote:
lbmofo wrote:The OP was using Ooma in Korea so probably not the right person to ask :)

Think about it a little, the Ooma device "thinks" it's in the USA, because it still goes through the Ooma Servers in the USA, so when placing a call from an Ooma device in located Korea, would still be "considered" a call from the USA to Korea.

Yeah but I doubt that dhkkim uses Ooma to place local calls in Korea :)
#91541 by qbui
Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:16 pm
lbmofo wrote:dhkkim is using Ooma in Korea so probably not the right person to ask :)

Are you dialing Korea correctly?

Look here: http://www.howtocallabroad.com/south-korea/

• 011 - US exit code; must be dialed first for all international calls made from the USA or Canada
  • 82 - Country Code for South Korea
  • area code - 1 digit for the capital Seoul and 2 digits for all other areas
  • phone number - 6 - 8 digits; area code followed by number total 8 or 9 digits for most landlines

For example, a Seoul Costco listed number is +82 2-572-5959

The way you dial using Ooma is 011 82 2 572 5959

The number is correct since it does go through for a few seconds once in awhile. I used my Ooma to call her cell & home phone number that is stored on the phone so I'm not entering the wrong numbers.
#91542 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:20 pm
I was able to call that Seoul Costco just now without a problem. When I use Ooma mobile app to dial overseas numbers using contact, sometimes I have issues. Perhaps next time, you can try manually dialing. If it works okay, then maybe add a pause between exit code/country code and the number itself and try.
#91543 by qbui
Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:25 pm
lbmofo wrote:I was able to call that Seoul Costco just now without a problem. When I use Ooma mobile app to dial overseas numbers using contact, sometimes I have issues. Perhaps next time, you can try manually dialing. If it works okay, then maybe add a pause between exit code/country code and the number itself and try.

Wow, thanks for placing that call! Hope you didn't waste the call just for me. I believe I tried to manually enter the number also but I will definitely try manual next time. Thanks for your help!