This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#13255 by jstaso
Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:22 pm
When I attach a phone to the Scout, there is background noise in my voice to the person I am talking to, but it's okay when I attach the phone to the Hub.

We have cable internet, but years ago we had DSL and the DSL line ran out of the same jack that the Hub is using now. When they install DSL, what is done to the phone jack? Could that be the reason for the poor voice quality on the Scout, that that same jack is used in my ooma setup?
#13256 by Aveamantium
Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:26 pm
I'm assuming that you're connecting the scout to the hub through your house wiring? Try connecting the scout directly to the hub to see if it helps, if it doesn't read this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=883

No fixes yet but the ooma folks are investigating it.
#13257 by WayneDsr
Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:36 pm
If you can get access to the telco box disconnect the original connection to the telco company. Usually it's just a matter of unplugging a phone jack.
Old connected phone lines can still put noise or voltage on your house wiring.

Wayne
#13259 by Aveamantium
Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:42 pm
WayneDsr wrote:If you can get access to the telco box disconnect the original connection to the telco company. Usually it's just a matter of unplugging a phone jack.
Old connected phone lines can still put noise or voltage on your house wiring.

Wayne

Good call Wayne... I forgot to mention that! :)
#13333 by WayneDsr
Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:53 pm
Yes, I had an issue connecting my 2nd scout to a remote room. I had a scout connected directly to the hub. A second scout connected in another room would not connect (stayed red) until I disconnected my old landline from the house wiring. There was some sort of noise on the line that caused the second scout not to receive it's signal.

Wayne
#13465 by jstaso
Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:34 pm
I found the Telco box and disconnected it, but that didn't fix the problem. I connected the Scout directly to the Hub and it sounded better, but the other party could still hear static.

So now, I have my phone and FAX both connected to the Hub with a splitter and I have the Scout in another room just to play voice mail messages.
#13466 by but2002
Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:42 pm
Static with the scout seems to be a common problem with most people and seems to be in the nature of the Ooma device itself.

Perhaps the next update rolled out will fix this issue??
#13475 by southsound
Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:50 pm
jstaso wrote:So now, I have my phone and FAX both connected to the Hub with a splitter and I have the Scout in another room just to play voice mail messages.

This setup works well for a lot of people. It gives the convenience of having a remote control while letting your calls take the cleanest path. Glad this is working for you.
#13480 by Aveamantium
Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:59 pm
southsound wrote:
jstaso wrote:So now, I have my phone and FAX both connected to the Hub with a splitter and I have the Scout in another room just to play voice mail messages.

This setup works well for a lot of people. It gives the convenience of having a remote control while letting your calls take the cleanest path. Glad this is working for you.

The only drawback to this scenario is if you don't have a phone plugged into the scout you can't access the instant second line. For me, that defeats the purpose of paying for the Premier Service.