This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#13013 by iserum
Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:44 pm
my call quality is very poor on the other end, using vonage for last three years without any problems, my connection, modem to ooma to router. Ooma CSR determined that there is is lot of jitter on my internet connection, i agree to some degree, but my question is why i don't have any issues with vonage. i will have my cable provide come out and check my lines for jitter issues, if they could not fix it i had to return my Ooma and keep vonage.
please see my report at different times. please advise to imroove call quality.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 9.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3618624 bps
Upload speed: 341248 bps
Download quality of service: 75 %
Upload quality of service: 33 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 117 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 121 ms
Average round trip time to server: 135 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6560000bps
Route concurrency: 1.8128438
Download TCP forced idle: 41 %
Maximum route speed: 4332888bps

-------------------------------------------------

2nd test

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 10.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.0 ms
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1748856 bps
Upload speed: 481472 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 46 %
Maximum TCP delay: 131 ms
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 129 ms
Average round trip time to server: 139 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6720000bps
Route concurrency: 3.842512
Download TCP forced idle: 43 %
Maximum route speed: 4064184bps
#13015 by southsound
Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:54 pm
Your upload QoS doesn't look too promising. This could contribute to your problems on the other end. How do you have your hub connected? cable modem<>router<>hub or modem<>hub<>router? Does the quality on the other end fluxuate from good to bad or is it always bad? Are you having problems on all calls or are they worse for certain parts of the country/area codes?
#13016 by iserum
Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:12 pm
my connection is modem <> ooma <> Router, people on the other end complains about broken voice or static. it is not happening all the time but most of the times. My Vonage is set at 50 Kpbs and sound quality is very good no complain at all. Right now i have disconnected my Vonage to avoid upload issues. Only Ooma device is connected. I have Earthlink Cable internet with 7 Mbps download and 512kbps upload.

here is my recent test. i was on the phone and it was bad on the other side have to hang up.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 47.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.4 ms
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 974656 bps
Upload speed: 475160 bps
Download quality of service: 47 %
Upload quality of service: 79 %
Maximum TCP delay: 382 ms
Average download pause: 12 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 199 ms
Average round trip time to server: 260 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 6400000bps
Route concurrency: 6.566419
Download TCP forced idle: 68 %
Maximum route speed: 2634568bps
#13019 by bw1
Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:13 pm
Did you try adjusting your QOS? Also, you could try disconnecting your router and use a corded phone connected directly to the hub just to eliminate any other possible interference.
#13028 by scottlindner
Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:57 pm
I have another test for you to try. Connect just one computer to your modem, disable all A/V software, rerun the test, and post the results.

The reason for this is to get a good clean test of your Internet quality of service.

Scott
#13033 by niknak
Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:56 pm
Besides your other issues, in each of your 3 tests the maximun TCP delay was > 100ms

Anything > 100 ms is going to cause voice quality issues
The problem is either with your ISP or your network configuration, not ooma
#13051 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:24 am
You might also try testyourvoip.com and see what kind of results you get from there. I always get a bad Qos score at the above mentioned site as my ISP speed changes constantly. However, my phone quality is usually pretty good despite the low Qos scores. It seems that if you have low jitter and packet loss you should be ok. The only time I've experienced choppy voice is when someone else is saturating my bandwidth (usually download bandwidth as this is difficult to control with router Qos) but since I've moved my ooma between the modem and router, all has been good.
#13179 by iserum
Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:51 pm
after spending two hours with Bright house tech, they acknowledged there is a problem "delay", previously they were only checking download and upload speeds, i had to show them website with more detailed results, they don't want to accept it first but after several tests running on their end and my persistent complain led them to do more tests, they found pinging my modem is causing more delays than usual.

They are going to send tech. to change some hardware in the cable box. My question is still why vonage able to work smoothly with same internet service?

when I connected my pc to modem directly the test results were similar, at times a delay of 100 ms. anything above 10 ms delay is a problem I think. i hope it will be resolved tomorrow.
#13217 by niknak
Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:42 am
The TCP delay affecting voice packets is more noticable than if the delay is causing web pages to load more slowly!

Glad to hear the ISP recognizes there is aproblem and will fix it!
#13221 by iserum
Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:13 am
Tech. replaced the plate on my cable box, still same issue, they are going to check main hub to resolve this. The told me it will be done in 24 hours. I will keep checking the test web site, they are going to change my line too since it is old.

i really want this too work. i wish Ooma used less upload bandwidth as vonage does. There might be some patent issue that prevent Ooma doing so, Vonage has long court case with Verizon.