This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#12378 by MCSFIP
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:36 pm
I know OOMA does not support wireless broadband. I maintain two homes, one with cable and one where the only broadband available is wireless. I have ooma and plan to take it with me between the two homes. I am currently at the home with wireless broadband and have great speed 15m down and 14m up. I have used skype and vonage with little problem. I am experiencing some drops and garble of voices on both ends. My wife says that on several occasions she has heard a couple of bangs not audible to the other person on the phone. The voip tests are all over the map from 99% QOS to 0% QOS. It fails roughly 70% of the time. I'm curious if anyone else is trying to use with wireless broadband .
#12381 by scottlindner
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:44 pm
Are you using the Ooma Hub first or behind a router, for each location?

Are you using a different router at each location?

A few people had problems like that with a bad router (myself included).

Cheers,
Scott
#12384 by MCSFIP
Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:24 pm
I have tried modem-ooma - router-pc, modem - router- ooma-pc with little difference in quality of service. It is currently setup with ooma before the router. I have changed qos settings high to low with no noted difference. The failure shown on all voip test is the download quality.
VoIP test statistics--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2454760 bps
Upload speed: 4882376 bps
Download quality of service: 0 %
Upload quality of service: 90 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 887 ms
Average download pause: 13 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 105 ms
Average round trip time to server: 107 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 23200000bps
Route concurrency: 9.451026
Download TCP forced idle: 79 %
Maximum route speed: 4993136bps

Here is a good testVoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.8 ms
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3426296 bps
Upload speed: 4185416 bps
Download quality of service: 95 %
Upload quality of service: 70 %
Maximum TCP delay: 76 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 106 ms
Average round trip time to server: 108 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24000000bps
Route concurrency: 7.0046487
Download TCP forced idle: 80 %
Maximum route speed: 4946032bp
I am open to suggestions and am curious if anyonre is using ooma on a wireless isp with any success.
#12403 by dogdad
Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:55 pm
I'm connected via the Minneapolis wifi system operated by USI wireless. I've been using ooma since March. Before the trees leafed out all of my calls were comparable in quality to my former Qwest land line. Now about 5%-10% of my calls suffer from some sort of audio problem, usually loss of a word or syllable now and then and some noises. I've only experienced 1 or 2 calls where I would consider the quality to be unacceptable. It will be interesting to see if things improve again in October.

These test results can vary greatly over the span of a few minutes.
Tonight's test:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 17.5 ms
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 859240 bps
Upload speed: 230640 bps
Download quality of service: 78 %
Upload quality of service: 96 %
Maximum TCP delay: 193 ms
Average download pause: 13 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 84 ms
Average round trip time to server: 92 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 960000bps
Route concurrency: 1.1172664
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 6241424bps
#12404 by dogdad
Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:00 pm
MCSFIP - interesting that your download speed tests slower than your upload speed. Isn't it usually the other way around?
#12411 by MCSFIP
Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:21 am
During speed tests my up and download test are fairly even. I notice on the download test the intial reading is a burst to full 15M and a quick drop to 8-10M and then a steady climb back to 15M while the upload test is pretty stable at 13-14meg. Have you set the qos settings in the hub or router or are you using the default settings.
#12523 by MCSFIP
Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:25 pm
Can anyone tell me what causes the low download quality? This seems to be the main problem. last test
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.8 ms
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.2 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 327800 bps
Upload speed: 3124456 bps
Download quality of service: 1 %
Upload quality of service: 89 %
Maximum TCP delay: 1588 ms
Average download pause: 96 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 78 ms
Average round trip time to server: 82 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1760000bps
Route concurrency: 5.3691278
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 6721536bps
#12533 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:24 pm
There can be many reasons some that may be out of your control.

A good test to diagnose the problem is to connect your PC directly to your broadband device. Removing everything else so it's just one PC, no router, no Ooma, and nothing else. Rerun the test and post the results.

If you still have bad results with that bare minimum equation you will need to contact your broadband provider. If it produces good results, then add a piece back at a time and rerun the test to identify what is the cause.

Cheers,
Scott
#12739 by dogdad
Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:31 am
MCSFIP wrote:During speed tests my up and download test are fairly even. I notice on the download test the intial reading is a burst to full 15M and a quick drop to 8-10M and then a steady climb back to 15M while the upload test is pretty stable at 13-14meg. Have you set the qos settings in the hub or router or are you using the default settings.

I did set the QOS in the hub but I don't have those numbers at hand as I'm away from home. My guess is that those QOS settings won't make a difference in your case.
#12785 by MCSFIP
Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:50 pm
I have tried many different QOS settings both on the up and download. I have started high and gradually brought them down with no appreciable difference if not a worsening of the quality. I have reset the hub to the factoty defaults and that seems to work as well or better than other settings. Sometimes the quality is near flawless and other times very poor. The weak point of my voip test is the download quality and high max. TCP delay. I took my hub to the ISP here and hooked it directly to their service. The test were generally very favorable with a few 75-85 QOS but mostly high 90's. The broadband is sent wirelessly to them and then dispursed wirelessly to their clients. My house is served by a backhaul which is shared by about 50 other customers. I am thinking about having a dedicated backhaul mounted to bypass them and get a direct link to the source. Any thoughts