This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#11727 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:44 am
I just called someone and the quality was awful. They could hear me just fine, but their incoming audio was muffled, very digital sounding, it was barely recognizable. I hung up and tried again and it was fine.

According to my wife this happened to her once in the past as well.

Has this happened to other people and is there something I can do to optimize my environment to ensure it doesn't happen again?

Scott
#11729 by WayneDsr
Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:19 am
You're using VOIP, Scott. There's so much going on between you and your caller there's bound to be a glitch once in awhile.

Wayne
#11732 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:42 am
I don't really need that lecture. I got it.

So back to what I'm asking.....
Have other people experienced this? We have experienced it twice in about a month of usage. Is that a normal rate? Have people found the cause of it? Any solutions to improve it?

As you would note, some of these things can be improved by a change on Ooma's end. The VOIP reminder is misplaced. Before I pull that trigger I'd like to understand it better.

Scott
#11738 by bryanlyle
Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:05 am
If you start experiencing problems when calling the same people, give Ooma CS a call. They can check the route that the call is taking and perhaps tweak it a bit.

We've been battling an echo issue when my in-laws call us. Ooma CS has been working to get it cleared up. The providers that Ooma use say it's a problem with the in-laws cordless phone, but the more I thought about it, the more I don't think that's the case. We never have problems when we call them, only when the call us.
#11739 by southsound
Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:26 am
Scott,

bryanlyle was right on about if it is a recurring problem to keep a log and let the ooma tech's look into it. When I first started using ooma I had echo problems on only some numbers in my local area code. It was odd - if 360 432-xxx1 was OK it didn't mean that 360 432-xxx2 would also be usable. After a lot of testing (even to the point of ooma setting up a system in their lab with a phone number one digit off of my number) they solved the echo. Then, for about a week, I had the problems you are describing. Ocassional calls that were not usable. I let them know of the times and numbers, and since the latest fix, things have been stellar. It could be that the partner ooma is using in your area needs to make some tweaks - or that ooma needs to make some in their routing tables. Either way, I know that ooma will do their best to take care of it. Please let us know when things go stellar for you again and what ooma's resolution was.

ps - I still have a separate landline with Qwest for financial reasons. The other day I was on a call to a fairly large company and had even worse call quality than I ever had with ooma. Go figure?!
#11740 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:42 am
Thanks guys. You gave me some tips about how to track this. So far it has only happened twice so it isn't something I will complain about, but it is enough for me to pay attention to any of the types of details both of you have suggested.

I know from reading other posts that Ooma can do something about it. Right now I don't really feel like harassing them about two problematic calls.

Cheers,
Scott
#11753 by WayneDsr
Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:25 pm

oops! Sorry didn't mean to sound like a lecture..... my bad. I forgot to run my response through Miss Manners. Where's the Racoon when you need him!

Wayne
#11754 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:33 pm
WayneDsr wrote:

oops! Sorry didn't mean to sound like a lecture..... my bad. I forgot to run my response through Miss Manners. Where's the Racoon when you need him!

Wayne

I understand. Type fast, think slow. I do that all of the time!

Scott
#11767 by Aveamantium
Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:18 pm
Is there any chance that your inbound bandwidth happened to be saturated at the time of the call? Not sure what you're using for Qos but Qos really only works "efficiently" in the outbound direction and not the inbound.
#11769 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:01 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Is there any chance that your inbound bandwidth happened to be saturated at the time of the call? Not sure what you're using for Qos but Qos really only works "efficiently" in the outbound direction and not the inbound.

Isn't that due to typical settings that would lead to that?

I didn't have anything going on at the time. Hanging up and calling back immediately solved the problem so I doubt it was my network.

Scott