This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#44586 by Mike-o-Matic
Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:56 am
johnnyrod wrote:So, the OOMA is DEFINITELY performing better with ATT Uverse than it was with Time Warner cable. When I disconneced Time Warner they kept telling me about their "more advanced fiber optic network" and "att is enforcing bandwidth caps", but I took that all with a grain of salt and told them to cancel my service anyway.

Bah! I call "TOTAL WEAKSAUCE" on them. That's all market-droid babble. You were right to disregard it.
#44588 by B0b_Zuruncle
Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:58 am
Good morning again:

We're in So Cal but live in an area that the infrastructure will not support DSL

As I mentioned before the 100 pair feeding the neighborhood is corroded also the distance to the CO is "too far" according to Verizon

The *99 thing does seem to make a difference and I've since found out that disables data compression

I just tried it again and the quality seems to be the best call I've ever had

Maybe I can contact OOMA and have them disable compression on my account and see if that makes a difference

Thanks
#44593 by scottlindner
Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:14 am
B0b_Zuruncle wrote:Good morning again:

We're in So Cal but live in an area that the infrastructure will not support DSL

As I mentioned before the 100 pair feeding the neighborhood is corroded also the distance to the CO is "too far" according to Verizon

The *99 thing does seem to make a difference and I've since found out that disables data compression

I just tried it again and the quality seems to be the best call I've ever had

Maybe I can contact OOMA and have them disable compression on my account and see if that makes a difference

Thanks

Let me know if they do that for you. I personally would like that option in the Lounge as an option per line. It would be great for folks with security systems.

Scott
#44599 by B0b_Zuruncle
Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:28 am
Apparently the option to function off compression (*99) may be available from the lounge with a telo device

However with the older OOMA hub, you have to call customer support and have them to do a "hard" *99 and turn compression off

That is making the difference for me right now

It apparently is not on a line by line basis but for your entire OOMA account

We use cell for our security system so OOMA is not needed for that

We'll continue to test the voice quality during peak hours of cable usage and see if the voice quality remains the same
#50298 by Baxter
Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:14 pm
Hello All,

Here is my tale of woe.

I am with Time Warner and have been with Ooma since December. In December, shortly after getting ooma I stared experiencing complete garbled out going voice in the evenings. I learned on this forum that cable ISPs sometime experience peak time issues. Also, some users were experiencing better results with U-Verse.

In January, I switched to U-Verse. The VOIP service tests were now impeccable and my service great. All green lights all the time. I was loving my Ooma! The problem was that soon my U-Verse started dropping out completely on occasion. This problem soon proved to be commonplace and it would sometimes dropout for up to a couple hours a a time. I'm talking no television, no internet, no signal period.

It soon was revealed that I was 3500 feet from the fiber junction and this was well beyond the 3000 feet where they could provide reliable service. We are talking 3500 feet of 20 - 30 year old copper cabling. To U-Verse's credit, they spent weeks sending crews out, working on lines and and trying to improve the situation. Eventually, I think they did something to make it worse as the outages started lasting a day and more.

I finally decided to bail and came back to Time Warner with my tail between my legs. At least I can count on being able to watch TV and surf the web which I couldn't rely on with U-verse. Luckily the people at U-Verse waived my entire service bill up to that point. Unfortunately, on TWC, I am back in the situation where my ooma is occasionally sending garbled outgoing voice. I can always hear the people I am talking to, but they can't understand me.

I am hoping the experts here can help me tweak things so that The TWC signal is acceptable for ooma. Maybe someone can tell me what to ask TWC to do. I have been forced to retain an 8 dollar basic landline so that people can call me if my ooma quality is unacceptable. I'm pretty sure that the problem is not with Ooma as the service was great on U-Verse (when U-Verse as giving a signal.) Btw, I am in Los Angeles, California.

Here are my specs.

I am paying for TWC's 10mb roadrunner service.

Set-up: Cable Modem --> Ooma --> Router (apple airport)
Ooma setup QOS set to 0 for both upstream and downstream.

Cable modem info: (This is all the info I could access)

WebSTAR DPC2100R2
Modem Serial Number 225454800
Cable Modem MAC Address 00:25:2e:ad:bf:28
Hardware Version 2.1
Software Version v2.0.2r1256-060303
Receive Power Level 3.1 dBmV
Transmit Power Level 40.8 dBmV
Cable Modem Status Operational

VOIP results (these results vary wildly when I run the test. Even within a couple of minutes. This is about average. Upload QOS tends to be in the 90s, although sometimes as low as 50%, and download QOS tends to be in the 50s or 60s at best.) I have run the test through wifi as well as connected to the cable modem via ethernet. Both give similar fluctuating results.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 5.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 2.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 13227744 bps
Upload speed: 960472 bps
Download quality of service: 33 %
Upload quality of service: 93 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 248 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 20 ms
Average round trip time to server: 27 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 13600000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0281421
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 26214000bps

I hope that someone can help with some suggestions on what I can get TWC to do. I read on one site about getting them to adjust my contention ratio, but I'm not quite sure what that means. Maybe on ooma's end PureVoice will be the answer. I'm holding out some hope from what I've read. Any help is appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
#50302 by murphy
Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:39 pm
I have one of those cable modems on the shelf that I no longer use because it has overheating problems. The downstream speed would be severely impacted when it got hot. The upstream speed was always good. Do you have it sitting horizontal or vertical? If it's horizontal, rotate it to vertical with the coax connector down. There are four places for the rubber feet on that end. Also make sure it is well ventilated (nothing blocking any of the vent holes).
#50309 by caseybea
Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:21 pm
Varies with subscriber, location, etc. I have Time Warner, my connection ROCKS, my voip tests are great, and my ooma call quality sounds no different than my old landline...
#50371 by Baxter
Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:43 pm
[quote][/quote]Murphy,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Flipping the modem and making sure it was well ventilated. It doesn't seem to have made much of a difference in the VoIP test results.
#50382 by murphy
Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:24 am
Baxter wrote:
Murphy,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Flipping the modem and making sure it was well ventilated. It doesn't seem to have made much of a difference in the VoIP test results.

Sorry to hear that. Switching mine from vertical to horizontal would kill the downstream speed within 15 minutes. Putting it back vertical would have the speed back to normal in about 30 minutes.