This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#11385 by niknak
Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:02 pm
Glad to hear your service improved. The numbers on your test look very good now. I'm sure with a little more tweaking QOS you'll be ok!
#11400 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:01 am
Those are excellent test results.

Sometimes this sort of stuff is a pain. Particularly when dealing with companies that are not accustomed to real competition.

Cheers,
Scott
#11645 by lohertz
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:10 am
johnnyrod wrote:So, the OOMA is DEFINITELY performing better with ATT Uverse than it was with Time Warner cable. When I disconneced Time Warner they kept telling me about their "more advanced fiber optic network" and "att is enforcing bandwidth caps", but I took that all with a grain of salt and told them to cancel my service anyway.

I'm glad you were able to get things working...as for TWC, I dont think I could survive with that company and I thank God its not in my area. TWC is always getting reports of throttling customers, blocking ports etc.. and I can believe it.
TWC is the original bandwidth cap or metered billing company. AT&T may have one but there speeds are really fast enough to hit that now, but that is in no way an endorsement for metered billing or bandwidth caps, quite the contrary.

Here at work we have Comcast business tier 12/2 and run a VoIP system to a hosted PBX. The point is that I dont think Comcast is blocking ports or throttling.
#11648 by scottlindner
Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:15 am
lohertz wrote:Here at work we have Comcast business tier 12/2 and run a VoIP system to a hosted PBX. The point is that I dont think Comcast is blocking ports or throttling.

I don't know what they are doing today, but Comcast was the first to get in trouble for throttling and even corrupting specific types of traffic.

Scott
#44562 by B0b_Zuruncle
Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:08 am
Good Morning:

We're currently using OOMA with Time Warner and it is HORRIBLE

We're about ready to throw in the towel on OOMA and port the numbers somewhere

We live in the hills so the only choices we have for broadband is cable

The telco cable is direct bury and is in poor condition and fiber is not here yet but I'm told it will be "someday"

I don't have that kind of time to wait

I cannot trust OOMA to provide a reasonable quality of service

Spoken to OOMA support MULTIPLE TIMES and they are unable to resolve anything

Upload and download speeds are good but it appears the problem may be with Time Warner

Jitter seems to be killing the quality and Time Warner doesn't care

The "wobbly" sounding audio I believe is caused by jitter however it's intermittent

The jitter test ran this morning (See below) looks to be "OK"

My questions are as follows as far as OOMA is concerned

1) What is the optimal hardware configuration Cable Modem>OOMA Hub>Router or Cable Modem>Router>OOMA Hub)?
2) What are the optimal QOS Settings.

Also, what is *99?
Someone mentioned it in this thread

I know what OOMA support told me but I really believe that sometimes their Level One techs don't really know what they are doing

Here are the test results for ping & speed

Help
#44565 by kdmc69
Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:29 am
It may be true that TWC throttles their feed in some locations, but I have been an Ooma customer since August, 2008. I've been on TWC the whole time with no problems. I have had my configuration both ways during that time. I currently have modem -> router (DI524) -> Telo. Works great! You might want to go to www.whichvoip.com and run the speed test there. If you post the results, I'm sure one of the very knowledgable Ooma users on the forum will be able to make suggestions, or recommendations.
#44569 by scottlindner
Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:47 am
There are a few things to try. Your results are good. The next time you have troubles with an Ooma call, run those tests to see what the Jitter and Packet Loss is. Ooma uses so little bandwidth that it isn't even a factor with any modern ISP.

Another thing to test is if you are using your internet for anything else at the time of poor call quality. Pay attention to what else might be using your Internet while calls are poor.

Unless you have advanced networking needs, the Cable Modem/Ooma Hub/Router configuration is ideal. It is the simplest and guarantees the quality of service. If you do have advanced networking needs we'll need to discuss your needs to identify the best approach for your situation.

How do you currently have your setup configured? It is possible your ISP is not suitable for VOIP. If that's the case, Ooma has nothing to do with it. You suggested your jitter numbers are intermittent. Was the 9ms jitter test good, or bad from your experience? Packet loss is something else to pay attention to when running tests.

Scott
#44572 by B0b_Zuruncle
Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:10 am
Good Morning:

Usually when I have trouble with call quality those numbers (ping/jitter) do deteriorate

The bandwidth being using while having call quality issues is nominal (some rss feeds etc...)

We currently have our hardware as Cable Modem/Ooma Hub/Router

QOS Settings

Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 384K
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 0
Reserved Bandwidth for Calls (Kbps): 215K

I just made a call using *99 with the current configuration and the call was the best I ever had

The problem is it's relatively early here in So Cal (8:00 am) and perhaps all the local bandwidth pigs aren't up up ;)
#44574 by scottlindner
Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:31 am
B0b_Zuruncle wrote:Good Morning:

Usually when I have trouble with call quality those numbers (ping/jitter) do deteriorate

The bandwidth being using while having call quality issues is nominal (some rss feeds etc...)

We currently have our hardware as Cable Modem/Ooma Hub/Router

QOS Settings

Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 384K
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps): 0
Reserved Bandwidth for Calls (Kbps): 215K

I just made a call using *99 with the current configuration and the call was the best I ever had

The problem is it's relatively early here in So Cal (8:00 am) and perhaps all the local bandwidth pigs aren't up up ;)

That's the trouble with cable modems. You have everything configured OK, and it sounds like your problems are your ISP. There's nothing Ooma can do if your ISP QoS isn't that good.

Where in SoCal? Are you sure DSL isn't an option? I thought SBC was doing DSL in most parts of SoCal. I used to live in San Diego and I was with TWC then.

Scott