This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#10870 by johnnyrod
Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:38 am
After months of trying to get it to work well, I give up. Time Warner Cable just stinks with my OOMA. I get several echo calls a day, dropped calls, garbled voice, and calls where the other party cannot hear me at all. It varies from just 100 miles away to even across the Country and overseas. Suprisingly, all my calls to the Easy Coast go well.

My Dad uses the bare bones slowest ATT DSL w/ OOMA and has no troubles ever. I've got the fastest Time Warner of 18M/2M and get mediorce service at best.

Tried adjusting the QOS bit by bit both lower and higher, using the 80% rule, using the closest to the upload speed rule, and nothing works. I even dial *99 and it still stinks. All cables are new and speed test look good. My only guess is high jitter on cable networks.

Next week I get Uverse installed ( lucky for me it is available in my area in Austin ).

Anyone have bad results with Time Warner and good results with Uverse they can talk about?

- J
#10883 by skellener
Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:52 am
johnnyrod wrote:Anyone have bad results with Time Warner and good results with Uverse they can talk about?
Nope. Just good results with Time Warner and Ooma in my area (L.A.). Haven't had any problems. Just signed my Mom up with the same set up. No problems at all so far.
#10893 by frank1
Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:17 pm
What is your setup?

If you have your Ooma hub AFTER the router, then adjusting the QOS on the Ooma hub will do nothing. Because it only shapes traffic coming into the Ooma hub.

If it is AFTER the router, then you have to adjust the QOS within the router. If you have an old router that doesn't have QOS functionality, then flash it with DD-WRT firmware and use that for QOS functionality.
#10900 by tommies
Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:30 pm
I have att (formerly bellsouth) bare bone dsl @1.5M/256k, good enough for ooma. So far I don't have any problem, no services outage whatsoever.

Comcast cable is another story. They know what the problem is but unwilling to fix[spend money to replace the out side line] Even regular tv is unwatchable with static all over.
#10923 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:15 am
There is reason to be suspicious of Cable ISP versus DSL ISP. DSL goes over the phone networks which is designed explicitly for high guarantee, low latency, and low jitter. Cable is the exact opposite.

As others have asked, we need to know a bit about your situation.

What router and firmware are you using to establish your QoS? I just recently determined the firmware I was using has problems with QoS. I switched to different firmware and the QoS works perfectly.

Stick with us for a bit to see if we can help resolve your problem.

When you get a chance can you try http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and post your results.

Cheers,
Scott
#10926 by niknak
Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:39 am
...My Dad uses the bare bones slowest ATT DSL w/ OOMA and has no troubles ever. I've got the fastest Time Warner of 18M/2M and get mediorce service at best....

Theren is a basic difference between cable service and DSL.
DSL is a "home run link" between your location and the DSLAM in the CO.
You get consistant bandwidth / performance)

With cable, you are sharing available bandwidth with everyone else in your area (up to 256 others). Your speed / performance varies if others in the neighborhood are all on line at the same time doing various bandwith intensive tasks

Try making some test calls very early in the morning - 3 or 4 AM when there is less expectation of many others being awake and see if your call quality improves
#10929 by johnnyrod
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:06 am
Thank you for all the replies. I have my setup like this:

Cable Modem - Ooma - Router. The router is a Linysys WRT54GS w/ firmware 7.2.06.

I tried to call Canada yesterday and no one could hear me on the other end. I called Singapore today and can't connect. I called CA yesterday with lots of echo and I call locally in Texas with slightly garbled voice.

I had TW come in a few months ago to check the connection and they said it was good and even gave me a new modem. It worked for a month or so and then it was back to crappy service again.

At 8:45AM on a Saturday morning here is my VOIP results.
oIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 8.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 8.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1779864 bps
Upload speed: 1296632 bps
Download quality of service: 70 %
Upload quality of service: 93 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 90 ms
Average download pause: 9 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 75 ms
Average round trip time to server: 136 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 23200000bps
Route concurrency: 13.034704
Download TCP forced idle: 83 %
Maximum route speed: 6990400bps
#10931 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:15 am
Your quality of service based on that test isn't very good. What did the simple Green/Yellow/Red stats tell you? Was it all Green?

I think putting your Ooma before your router will be an excellent test. If that works successfully, there are some things we can do to help you get your router's QoS up to snuff.

Scott
#10932 by pl1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:16 am
johnnyrod wrote:Cable Modem - Ooma - Router.
My first call with Ooma was walkie talkie like and there was an echo. I switched it to Cable Modem > Router > Ooma and my troubles instantly improved to perfect sound quality and a very minor walkie talkie effect, which I can live with. Way better than my cell phone .