This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#110777 by razemania
Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:09 pm
Hi,

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything to help so I thought I would ask the question.

I've owned my Ooma for a year now and haven't really had problems until a few weeks ago. Words are dropping out of my calls and folks on the other end cannot understand what I'm saying.

After trying out a few different things, I found that by shutting down my Windows 7 computer, the quality is fine. This worked on 3 tests.

I just ran some tests on http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest both with the computer on and off. Very interesting results. On had terrible jitter and didn't recommend VOIP. Off was fine.

Computer on
download speed 24149 kbps
upload speed 280 kbps
dl qos 46%
up qos 26%
jitter you -> server 94.6ms
jitter server -> you 2.3 ms
packet loss you -> server .4%
pl server -> you 0%

Computer off
download speed 22439 kbps
upload speed 977 kbps
dl qos 49%
up qos 99%
jitter you -> server 3.9 ms
jitter server -> you 2.7 ms
packet loss you -> server 0%
pl server -> you 0%

The tests were done within 20 min of each other.

Any ideas what might be causing it?

Brian
#110787 by lbmofo
Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:52 pm
Not sure what your setup is like and not sure which computer you are doing the VoIP quality tests on and how that computer is connected to your network vs Windows 7 computer etc.

But take a look at this (especially the part about Built In MAC):

"Optimal Setup:"

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403
#110796 by EX Bell
Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:00 pm
razemania wrote:After trying out a few different things, I found that by shutting down my Windows 7 computer, the quality is fine. This worked on 3 tests.

Good sleuthing! Some people would just automatically point the finger at Ooma.
Is your Win 7 computer hardwired (e.g. connected via Ethernet)?

A bad network interface in your PC can cause network performance issues. This sounds like the case from your description.

Even if it's WiFi, it could still cause an issue. You can order an ethernet card if it's a desktop, but if it's a laptop your choices are really dependent on the laptop model and are often limited.