This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#109300 by jstaso
Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:20 pm
I just upgraded from the old Hub and Scout to the Telo with a Linx for my FAX machine. The FAX sent and received fine when connected to the Hub, but the connection fails when trying to receive a FAX. Any ideas of what I can try to fix this?
#109301 by EX Bell
Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:35 pm
Try connecting the fax machine directly to the Telo if it's not already. In your my.ooma.com account, under Phone Number Preferences, set the Telo mode to Fax Machine. If you haven't opted out of Premier, under System Preference, Make sure Enable Premier fax is checked and set the Redundency Level to 3 as long as you have at least 340kbps upload available from your ISP.

More info about Premier Fax
#109346 by jstaso
Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:35 pm
I set the Redundancy Level to 3 and was able to receive one FAX, but I tried again today and it didn't work. If I have to connect the Telo directly to the FAX, it defeats the purpose of purchasing the Linx and the Telo wireless adapter I also just got. Is there anything else I could try?
#109347 by EX Bell
Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 pm
jstaso wrote:I set the Redundancy Level to 3 and was able to receive one FAX, but I tried again today and it didn't work. If I have to connect the Telo directly to the FAX, it defeats the purpose of purchasing the Linx and the Telo wireless adapter I also just got. Is there anything else I could try?

I'm not quite sure I understand. Why would it defeat the purpose of the Linx adapter? You connect the Fax machine to the Telo and you use the Linx where you would have placed the Telo before. Do you get what I mean? Just reverse their positions in the house if you need your cordless phone base setup in a different place than where the Telo and fax machine are. Yes, perhaps you won't need the WiFi adapter, I don't know how your house is laid out so I obviously cannot comment on that.

I will say that I personally have not had good success with faxing from the Linx adapter. I think the DECT 6.0 connection between the Linx and the Telo, while good, is not "quiet" enough for reliable faxing. It's hard enough to get faxing with VoIP to work consistently. You don't need to stack the cards against yourself.

Did you purchase the Linx and WiFi adapter from Amazon? If so, just return them if they're not needed. They have a good return policy.
#109371 by jstaso
Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:10 am
OK, so if I plug the phone cord from the FAX into the Telo, do I then set up the Telo to use my FAX number and then set up the LINX to use my home phone number? The LINX would then communicate with my three ooma handsets? On my account I need to set the LINX up in phone mode and the Telo in FAX mode?
#109374 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 am
jstaso wrote:OK, so if I plug the phone cord from the FAX into the Telo, do I then set up the Telo to use my FAX number and then set up the LINX to use my home phone number? The LINX would then communicate with my three ooma handsets? On my account I need to set the LINX up in phone mode and the Telo in FAX mode?

Fax mode set for Telo would only apply to the phone/fax connected to the Telo "phone" port. The Telo would still communicate with HD2 (not Linx).
#109380 by EX Bell
Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 am
jstaso wrote:OK, so if I plug the phone cord from the FAX into the Telo, do I then set up the Telo to use my FAX number and then set up the LINX to use my home phone number? The LINX would then communicate with my three ooma handsets? On my account I need to set the LINX up in phone mode and the Telo in FAX mode?

Yes, if you need the fax machine to be autonomous to receive incoming calls on a specific number, you create a "Private account" in the Phone number preferences on my.ooma.com, assign your Telo to it and then assign your fax number to the private account. Your HD2 handsets and your main number stay assigned to the Main account.

Since you already have three HD2 handsets, you probably don't need the Linx adapter unless you also want to connect a non-Ooma cordless base, but that's up to you. If you want to distribute the Ooma dial-tone on your house phone wiring, then you can do that with the Linx, just make sure the house wiring is not connected to the local phone company service.