This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#109296 by jstaso
Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:58 pm
Does it make any difference in the call quality of the Linx with a FAX machine if it is plugged directly into the wall or an extension cord?
#109297 by EX Bell
Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:05 pm
Shouldn't matter. Linx connects via DECT 6.0 wireless like cordless phones use. It does not connect by way of the house wiring like PowerLine adapters do.
#109323 by GAlee
Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 am
I am new to Ooma, 2 days. Do I have to buy a linx for the other phones in the house to work? Right now the Ooma I brought is in the office. I have two more phones in the house. I am trying to understand how Linx's work. I thought you just buy one equipment and ALL the phones would work. :?
#109325 by EX Bell
Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:36 am
GAlee wrote:I am new to Ooma, 2 days. Do I have to buy a linx for the other phones in the house to work? Right now the Ooma I brought is in the office. I have two more phones in the house. I am trying to understand how Linx's work. I thought you just buy one equipment and ALL the phones would work. :?

Linx is if you want to use your own handset to access "Instant Second Line" on the main account, assign a second number to ring independently of the main number on a private account, add a separte phone extension where you don't have one, or maybe connect an alarm system into Ooma without connecting to the main phone line and having to worry about compatibiliity with alarm system "Line Seizure" components. These are a few of the possible uses.

What you're talking about is possible without buying anything else and it is documented. You just need to make sure that you don't have a physical connection to the phone company any longer, otherwise it might damage your Telo. Here's how to set it up.
#109363 by GAlee
Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:36 am
Ok I think I understand now. So right now I need to request to keep my home number, wait for my number to get ported, cancel my phone company, then follow the setup?
#109368 by EX Bell
Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:36 am
GAlee wrote:Ok I think I understand now. So right now I need to request to keep my home number, wait for my number to get ported, cancel my phone company, then follow the setup?

Yes.

How the entire process pans out depends on how your current phone company handles their accounts. Bell Canada for example, automatically cancels your phone account once the number "Ports-Out" to another carrier, that being Ooma in our case. You simply don't want to cancel before the number port happens or you could lose your number. It's important afterward however, to make sure they haven't continued to charge you for a service you don't have with them.

It's also important if you have DSL Internet service, that you check with your provider an make sure you're not going to lose internet. Again, with Bell Canada it's been pretty simple. If you're a DSL subscriber with Bell Canada and you request a number port, the account cancels automatically when the number port completes, meanwhile they have already added a dry-loop so they can keep billing you for internet. It's pretty seamless.