This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#109194 by Kamakzie
Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 pm
I currently have the ethernet cable hooked to the Telo in the To the internet and going to one of my routers ports. I see that one of the options is to have the internet line itself hooked up to the Telo and the Home network port going to the WAN port on the router.. Which is best?

Thanks
#109199 by Leeway
Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:31 am
Either one that works the best for your expectations. Try them both if you like and check for your best results. Be sure you reboot any time you change the setup.

I will say that I've seen the happier connectivity posts with the connection from Telo To Internet into the router, just the way you have it now behind the router.
#109200 by EX Bell
Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:45 am
Leeway wrote:Either one that works the best for your expectations. Try them both if you like and check for your best results. Be sure you reboot any time you change the setup.

I will say that I've seen the happier connectivity posts with the connection from Telo To Internet into the router, just the way you have it now behind the router.

Sound advice. It's important to note that QoS has to be properly setup. It should be approximately 80% of your upload speed. The QoS "engine" of different routers are not all equal and not all routers have this capability, regardless of how "new" or "advanced" they are. Research before you buy.

Some work better than others and this is changed if you run third party firmware like DD-WRT for example. The combination of router firmware (software) and hardware will determine the results. From the many Ooma installations I have done, I have observed a few important points.

1. Auto QoS does not work well for VoIP on any router I've tested, so always choose a manual setting.
2. Linksys routers with up to date firmware handle QoS better than any other I've tested.
3. While Ooma QoS does work well where it's possible to use it (eg. You can feed the Ooma Telo with an internet connection that nothing else connects to, and the Telo then feeds a router that everything else connects to). However, my clients that have their telo connected to a Linksys router after the ISP modem (ie. Modem > Router w/QoS > Ooma Telo) have no complaints. Where as clients with Modem > Ooma > Telo, do complain that the call quality is occasionally compromised.