This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#108328 by holmes4
Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:04 am
Ooma is the fourth VoIP provider I have used. Of all those I have used, I had the worst call quality with Vonage, despite having very fast Internet service (15/2 or better). For me, Ooma's call quality is the best (right up there with Verizon Voicewing, no longer in business.) But I have seen over the years that no one service works best for everyone - I have no idea why. I left my previous provider due to repeated call quality issues, but many people are happy with that service. (And indeed I was for a couple of years!)

I will say that the measurements you show for your service are marginal for VoIP and I'm not surprised you're having problems. It could be a network routing issue between you and Ooma whereas your path to Vonage servers is different. It just may end up that you and Ooma are not a good match.
#108334 by thunderbird
Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:15 am
Lone Stranger:
Upload Speed: ___321_____________................Marginal Upload Speed
Download Consistency of Service _16%_______....Should be around 80% or better
Maximum TCP Delay _500 ms____________.........Should be 100ms or less

There is definitely a problem with your Modem or Internet provider signal. Ooma would probably work okay if the Download Consistency of Service and Maximum TCP Delay problems were corrected.

Check your Modem owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure. If so do the Modem Reset procedure per the Modem Owner's manual. Some Modems contain a battery, which must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem Reset or Reboot. Check the Modem owner's manual to see if there is a battery in the modem and how to temporarily remove it. Then do the Modem Reset. If there is no Modem reset procedure, do a Modem reboot. Then test.

Check the Internet cable coming in from the street to your Modem for condition, splices and splitters and loose fittings. Correct as necessary. If possible, temporarily try to bypass any spices or splitters to see if that makes a difference. Then Test.

If none of these things helps, try another Modem.

If another Modem doesn’t help, contact your Internet provider.
#108349 by Lone Stranger
Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:19 pm
thunderbird wrote:Lone Stranger:
Upload Speed: ___321_____________................Marginal Upload Speed
Download Consistency of Service _16%_______....Should be around 80% or better
Maximum TCP Delay _500 ms____________.........Should be 100ms or less

There is definitely a problem with your Modem or Internet provider signal. Ooma would probably work okay if the Download Consistency of Service and Maximum TCP Delay problems were corrected.

Check your Modem owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure. If so do the Modem Reset procedure per the Modem Owner's manual. Some Modems contain a battery, which must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem Reset or Reboot. Check the Modem owner's manual to see if there is a battery in the modem and how to temporarily remove it. Then do the Modem Reset. If there is no Modem reset procedure, do a Modem reboot. Then test.

Check the Internet cable coming in from the street to your Modem for condition, splices and splitters and loose fittings. Correct as necessary. If possible, temporarily try to bypass any spices or splitters to see if that makes a difference. Then Test.

If none of these things helps, try another Modem.

If another Modem doesn’t help, contact your Internet provider.

Thanks for your help, at least that gives me some better ideas than Ooma's help line.
#108356 by bsbrady
Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:54 pm
I am having the same quality issues with Ooma. Had no issues with Vonage. Its not my internet as I am 15/2 (optimum online)
Only thing is I do have the ooma behind the router. Only because the modem only has one ethernet port, so naturally that is connected to the router. I have ran all the quality tests and they are well within specs. Not sure how much longer I can deal with this. Any ideas would help
#108361 by thunderbird
Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:34 am
bsbrady wrote:I am having the same quality issues with Ooma. Had no issues with Vonage. Its not my internet as I am 15/2 (optimum online)
Only thing is I do have the ooma behind the router. Only because the modem only has one ethernet port, so naturally that is connected to the router. I have ran all the quality tests and they are well within specs. Not sure how much longer I can deal with this. Any ideas would help

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#109107 by grichards
Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:13 am
I have had Ooma for some time now. I spent a lot of money upgrading all equipment; new phones, upgrade DSL, new modem/router, etc.
The system has never worked properly from day one. Dropped calls, poor quality, calls terminating at a certain time (18 secs).
I reinstated my ATT landline for local use and use Ooma for long distance. Didn't work. Other end cant hear me.
Ooma is a good idea but the technology is not yet there. :(
#109113 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 am
grichards wrote:Ooma is a good idea but the technology is not yet there. :(

I think you just had bad luck of not having a good internet connection. Ooma works great with good quality internet connections.