This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#9439 by devilemademedoit
Sun May 10, 2009 6:28 pm
I have had Ooma for almost a month and call quality is poor and seems to be worsening. I switch from Vonage where I had no call quality issues on a 1.5Mbs/256 Kbs cable internet connection

My Issues
1. Echos
2. Inconsistent volume
3. Conversation breaking on my side but other side have no issues
4. Delays

I am coming to the conclusion that Ooma may not be quite ready for Prime Time or at least not my Prime Time. It seems Ooma may not be as forgiving to my connection as Vonage.

Issues seem worse on calls where other party is on a mobile phone vs landline but issue does occur on most calls.

I have reset my devices and will verify if this has any effect. Any additional assistance would be appreciated.

Hardware connection is Modem->Ooma->Router

I am 90% sure my connection quality have not change but I include the below tests for completeness
========Below are Connection Test ==========
VoIP test statistics Without Ooma
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 6.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1357456 bps
Upload speed: 280672 bps
Download quality of service: 36 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 26 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 72 ms
Average round trip time to server: 85 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2000000bps
Route concurrency: 1.4733442
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 7281664bps

=================================

VoIP test statistics -- With OOma
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 5.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 356144 bps
Upload speed: 281976 bps
Download quality of service: 73 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 49 ms
Average download pause: 32 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 108 ms
Average round trip time to server: 115 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 456000bps
Route concurrency: 1.280381
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 4854440bps
#9440 by murphy
Sun May 10, 2009 6:52 pm
Your download quality of service is poor in both cases. That is also the direction where you are having audio problems.
#9444 by Neubiee
Mon May 11, 2009 4:09 am
devilemademedoit:
try this configuration:

Modem--> Router-->Ooma

then power cycle all them them. one after another. replace your Ethernet cables as well if you have them.
#9489 by WayneDsr
Mon May 11, 2009 5:21 pm
I'm with neubie, attach ooma to the router as you would a pc.

You also may need to contact your cable people to test your connection, it doesn't look right.

ALSO, if you haven't power cycled your cable modem in awhile that could be the issue.

Wayne
#9510 by jtykal
Tue May 12, 2009 8:08 am
I'm wary of the number of suggestions on this forum about putting the ooma hub behind your router, instead of in front of it as ooma suggests. Unless you configure QoS in the router to prioritize traffic from the ooma hub, your voice packets are competing for bandwidth with all of your other PC traffic. Putting to hub in front of the router allows ooma to prioritize its own data packets ahead of those coming in from the HOME port.

As a test, I set up my ooma hub behind my router, and tried talking on the phone while simultaneously uploading a large file. (Although I understand the basics of QoS configuration in the router, I did not make any adjustments for this test. My guess is that most ooma customers are not network administrators and would prefer a "plug & play" solution.) My broadband speed is 6MB down and 1MB up. I could hear the other party just fine (as expected), but they said my voice was unintelligible. I then set up the hub as ooma recommends -- between the modem and the router -- and repeated the test. Voice quality was "perfect". I've kept this configuration, and have had absolutely ZERO issues with voice quality. I work from home with a VPN connection from my PC-->router-->ooma-->modem, and have had no connectivity issues whatsoever.

There may be some non-trivial networks that require a unique configuration, but unless you know what you are doing with respect to configuring QoS in your router, I would join ooma in recommending a modem-->ooma-->router configuration. YMMV...
#9534 by skellener
Tue May 12, 2009 3:25 pm
http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/al/126 ... 4716761&s=
....a typical DSL connection might have 384 kbps upstream and 3 Mbps downstream. As a result of the reduced bandwidth available, most voice quality issues occur in the upstream direction.
....to obtain the best results, it is recommended to adjust the default upstream bandwidth (384 kbps) to the true upstream bandwidth available on your network.
#108147 by Lone Stranger
Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:26 pm
I just spent time with customer service and was told I need a minimum of 384 kbps and my current AT&T plan is upload speeds of up to 384 kbps so you can imagine for 2 years I've had bad voice service and today is the first time Ooma has mentioned this. I stressed that I never had problems with Vonage and just checked and Vonage only requires 90 kbps. Why does Ooma require so much more? Does anyone know. Ooma reps. keep blaming AT&T but I'm getting what I've paid for, it's not the fastest but I don't understand why Vonage quality is so much better. Yes I know they are more expensive but I can't use my home phone to call anyone.
#108151 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:30 pm
Lone Stranger wrote:I just spent time with customer service and was told I need a minimum of 384 kbps and my current AT&T plan is upload speeds of up to 384 kbps so you can imagine for 2 years I've had bad voice service and today is the first time Ooma has mentioned this. I stressed that I never had problems with Vonage and just checked and Vonage only requires 90 kbps. Why does Ooma require so much more? Does anyone know. Ooma reps. keep blaming AT&T but I'm getting what I've paid for, it's not the fastest but I don't understand why Vonage quality is so much better. Yes I know they are more expensive but I can't use my home phone to call anyone.

You might want to try running Phonepower Speedtest several times at different times of the day to see how the Upload and Download Internet speeds very.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#108174 by Lone Stranger
Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:40 pm
thunderbird wrote:
Lone Stranger wrote:I just spent time with customer service and was told I need a minimum of 384 kbps and my current AT&T plan is upload speeds of up to 384 kbps so you can imagine for 2 years I've had bad voice service and today is the first time Ooma has mentioned this. I stressed that I never had problems with Vonage and just checked and Vonage only requires 90 kbps. Why does Ooma require so much more? Does anyone know. Ooma reps. keep blaming AT&T but I'm getting what I've paid for, it's not the fastest but I don't understand why Vonage quality is so much better. Yes I know they are more expensive but I can't use my home phone to call anyone.

You might want to try running Phonepower Speedtest several times at different times of the day to see how the Upload and Download Internet speeds very.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: __1834______________
Upload Speed: ___321_____________
Download Consistency of Service _16%_______
Upload Consistency of Service __95%_______
Maximum TCP Delay _500 ms____________
Jitter you server __0.3 ms________
Jitter server you _1.3 ms________
Packet loss: you server_0%______
Packet loss: server you __0%____
Packet discards _0%________
Packets out of order __0%_______
Estimated MOS score __4.2______