This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#108430 by ksswaney
Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 am
Hi guys. I have had my system for about 2 years now and I finally got around to asking this questions. Person calls me and leaves a message. I return their call. When I call them they complain that every word they are saying is echoing back at them. Now I can hear them clear as a bell on my end. No echo - crystal clear. It is so annoying to some that they cant focus and end up saying they will call back. They then call me back and the problem is the same - nothing changes. They hear their voice echo. I hear everything clear. Now EVERY time I ask this question "are you on a cell phone" and they ALWAYS answer yes.

Anything in my settings that I can change on my system to correct this? What is the cause of this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
#108431 by thunderbird
Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:18 am
ksswaney wrote:Hi guys. I have had my system for about 2 years now and I finally got around to asking this questions. Person calls me and leaves a message. I return their call. When I call them they complain that every word they are saying is echoing back at them. Now I can hear them clear as a bell on my end. No echo - crystal clear. It is so annoying to some that they cant focus and end up saying they will call back. They then call me back and the problem is the same - nothing changes. They hear their voice echo. I hear everything clear. Now EVERY time I ask this question "are you on a cell phone" and they ALWAYS answer yes.

Anything in my settings that I can change on my system to correct this? What is the cause of this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Echo is usually caused by the phone on the end of the conversation that isn't hearing the echo. This would be the phone you are using. To test and make sure, if you are using a cordless phone system, remove power fron the cordless phone base. Use a corded phone to test with to make and receive calls. Note: Some cordless phone systems will cause echo. Don't matter if the phone line is connected or not connected, as long as the cordless phone base is powered. So be sure to un-power any cordless phone base(s) in your home, before testing.
#108440 by ksswaney
Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:55 pm
Thanks for the reply.

I have a hard time believing that it is my phone. Why does this ONLY happen with a CELL PHONE caller? Wouldnt it happen all of the time?

What is the work around with this issue? Yes, I am using a cordless phone with a powered base. Not sure there are cordless phone without powered bases..... I really dont want to be tethered to the desk and need my mobility. Suggestions? Does Oma recommend any cordless phones that work well with their system?

Thanks,

Kevin
#108462 by ksswaney
Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:40 am
Yes I did test and it has appeard to work. Not quite sure I understand why....... at any rate, what is a DECT 6 cordless phone? How do I know if I have one or I dont? Do DECT 6 phones have powered bases?
#108468 by thunderbird
Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:38 am
ksswaney wrote:Yes I did test and it has appeard to work. Not quite sure I understand why....... at any rate, what is a DECT 6 cordless phone? How do I know if I have one or I dont? Do DECT 6 phones have powered bases?

Post the brand and model number of cordless phone system that you are using in this forum. Or just go out on the Internet and search the brand name and model number of the cordless phone system that your are using. Usually the phone discription will tell.

DECT 6 cordless phones are the latest design cordless phones. They use differnt frequencies plus other improvements. They do have powered bases. The bases are used to sent, receive radio signals, and control the cordless handsets. Some older design cordless phone systems have problems with VoIP phones systems.

I use Panasonic DECT 6 Plus cordless talking phones that we like very much. Other brands of DECT 6 phones are just as good.