This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#108183 by jaydawg129
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:05 am
Hi all,

I've had my Ooma now for a couple years and just recently have had to relocate to a temporary home due to a major mold problem in our house. :( Some people have graciously allowed us to stay in the unused half of their duplex for a while.

Now on to my Ooma problem. They've got DSL internet (our house that we had to leave we have cable internet) and I don't have access to their modem and/or wireless router to directly connect my Hub to. I purchased the Ooma wireless adapter and got that all configured, but I'm now having serious connectivity issues. Before I write it off as a problem with their DSL or poor wifi strength, is there anything that I should be doing to configure my computer and/or Ooma after this switch from cable to DSL?

Thanks in advance for any help!
#108220 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:09 pm
jaydawg129 wrote:Hi all,

I've had my Ooma now for a couple years and just recently have had to relocate to a temporary home due to a major mold problem in our house. :( Some people have graciously allowed us to stay in the unused half of their duplex for a while.

Now on to my Ooma problem. They've got DSL internet (our house that we had to leave we have cable internet) and I don't have access to their modem and/or wireless router to directly connect my Hub to. I purchased the Ooma wireless adapter and got that all configured, but I'm now having serious connectivity issues. Before I write it off as a problem with their DSL or poor wifi strength, is there anything that I should be doing to configure my computer and/or Ooma after this switch from cable to DSL?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Are you able to connect to the Internet using a network cable connected to the Ooma Telo Internet port. If so if you are stll having connectivity issues, it's probably the DSL service.

If you can connect a computer to the DSL service, you could also try running Phonepower Speedtest http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest to see how the DSL Internet connections is working.
#108226 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:55 pm
jaydawg129, if you have the black Ooma Telo, the Ooma wireless adapter would work. If you have the white Ooma Hub, then it won't work.

If you have the Telo and cofigured properly for wifi and while you are in the unit with router nearby and the Telo works fine via wifi, then you have signal strength issues when Telo is in your unit.
#108250 by jaydawg129
Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:28 pm
Download Speed: 3077kbps
Upload Speed: 769 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 70%
Upload Consistency of Service 94%
Maximum TCP Delay 128ms
Jitter you server 0.4ms
Jitter server you 0.5ms
Packet loss: you server 0.4%
Packet loss: server you 0.0%
Packet discards 0.0%
Packets out of order 0.0%
Estimated MOS score 3.7

I'm guessing that I'm just victim of lousy internet speeds by the results of the test...

We're looking into getting cable internet for the time we're here, so hopefully that will take care of everything.
#108254 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:40 pm
jaydawg129:
Download Consistency of Service 70%......Is okay, but is usaually about 80% or more
Maximum TCP Delay 128ms...................Is usually less then 100ms
Packet loss: you server 0.4%.................Should be Zero
Estimated MOS score 3.7.....................Is usually around 4 or higher

This is probably a sign of a malfunctioning modem or Internet signal.

Check your Modem owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure. If so do the Modem Reset procedure per the Modem Owner's manual. Some Modems contain a battery, which must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem Reset or Reboot. Check the Modem owner's manual to see if there is a battery in the modem and how to temporarily remove it. Then do the Modem Reset. If there is no Modem reset procedure, do a Modem reboot. Then test.

Check the Internet cable coming in from the street to your Modem for condition, splices and splitters and loose fittings. Correct as necessary. If possible, try to bypass any spices or splitters to see if that makes a difference. Then Test.

If none of these things helps, try another Modem.

If another Modem doesn’t help, contact your Internet provider.
#108460 by jaydawg129
Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:13 am
Thanks Thunderbird,

We're we are staying I don't have access to the modem and/or router unfortunately we're using our neighbors DSL (with their permission :) ). We are getting cable internet next Monday, so we should be okay by then.