This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#108073 by kelru2000
Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:12 am
Hello all,

I have been having intermittent outgoing voice problems with my telo. Never any problem with incoming.

Having run through many of the diagnostic suggestions here, I don't see anything wrong with my cable internet connection. The Telo is between the modem and the rest of the network, btw.

It seems that the way that I get the voice to work properly is to restart the telo. After that, the outgoing voice is good. When I make a call a few hours later, the outgoing quality has degraded again. After a restart, it works.

Is this a symptom of a failing box? Is there something else that could be wrong? Because of the pattern, I am not sure where to go from here. Help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
#108076 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:34 am
kelru2000:
If you haven't set the Ooma Telo Internet Port MAC address to Use Built-In, do so. Procedure is below:

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause Internet disconnects, dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#108081 by kelru2000
Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:21 am
Thanks for this. It has been set on "built-in" for quite awhile. Doesn't make a difference. (modem-ooma-router, btw)

What's next?
#108083 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:21 am
kelru2000:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#108090 by kelru2000
Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:08 pm
thunderbird wrote:kelru2000:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: _____11168___________
Upload Speed: ______739__________
Download Consistency of Service __44______
Upload Consistency of Service ___80______
Maximum TCP Delay _____90________
Jitter you server ____16.8______
Jitter server you ___.5______
Packet loss: you server____0___
Packet loss: server you __0____
Packet discards ____5.6_____
Packets out of order _0________
Estimated MOS score ____3.8____

I have done this many times and it reports things are fine here. As I said before, it returns to working when i restart the telo, not when I restart the modem.
#108091 by murphy
Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:20 pm
Things are not fine.
Download consistency of service should be 80 or more.
Jitter you server should be 5 ms or less.
Packet discards should be 0.
#108098 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:16 am
kelru2000:
Download Speed: _____11168___________Upload Speed: ______739__________
Upload Speed: ______739__________
Download Speed and Upload Speed seem to be out of balance. Most provider's Upload Speed would be in the low thousands if the Download Speed is 11168.

Download Consistency of Service __44______Is usually around 80
Jitter you server ____16.8______...............Should be less than 5 kbps.
Packet discards ____5.6_____...................Should be Zero.

So there are Modem or Internet provider signal problems. Usually it’s the Modem

Check your Modem owner's manual to see if there is a reset procedure. If so do the Modem Reset per the Modem owner's manual. Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem Reset or Reboot. Check your Modem owner's manual to see if the Modem contains a battery, and if so, temporarily remove the battery. Then do the Modem Reset, or if there is no Modem Reset, do a Modem reboot.

Also check the Internet cable that comes in to the Modem, from the street for splices and splitters that may have loose or unserviceable connections. Correct as necessary. If there are splitters in the Internet cable coming in from the street to the Modem, if you can, temporarily try bypassing the splitters for testing. Test as you go.

Also contact your Internet provider and find out what your Download and Upload Internet speeds should be.

If things don’t improve, try another Modem.
#108119 by kelru2000
Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:03 pm
I accept that my connection isn't perfect. However, explain to me why restarting only the telo makes the problem go away.
#108120 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:43 am
kelru2000 wrote:I accept that my connection isn't perfect. However, explain to me why restarting only the telo makes the problem go away.

I wonder if rebooting your Ooma Telo also refreshes the Modem?

Recently there was a problem where on the Ooma side there was a problem with out going voice. But that was supposed have been fixed.
#108256 by kelru2000
Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:40 pm
I went to the cable company and had them fool with the connection. Download speed went back up to 24 mbps. upload is at 1 mbps (that's the package 15/1). Jitter dropped to 2.5.

Phone worked fine yesterday, today connection stats are as above. Outgoing voice is broken up again.

Restarted the telo and it worked for one call. Didn't work an hour later.

Is there a next step or do I have to go back to POTS? It is unacceptable to have a phone that works this badly.