This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#108021 by zyxlsy
Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:16 am
I understand this series of routers are rarely used, but I do use one.
When configuring QoS in my DSR-500 (made by D-Link) to give OOMA highest priority, I stumbled upon the selection for "service". For usual D-Link routers, you just tell the router to give highest priority to an IP address. But in DSR routers, you need to specify a service, so the IP is given highest priority when running selected service.
Back then there is a option "ANY", but it is eliminated in latest firmware. So in order to give OOMA highest priority, I need to tell my router what service OOMA is using, and I absolutely don't know.
Some choices are DNS:UDP, DNS:TCP, SIP:UDP, SIP:TCP, SNMP, etc. These are just a few, and the selection is huge.
If somebody can understand what I'm talking about, I would be very appreciative if you could let me know which service I should choose.
Thanks!
#108031 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 am
Ooma uses UDP & TCP for sure.

More information:
Domain Name System (DNS)
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)

Service Ports:
Ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:

UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-30000, TCP 110, TCP 53 and TCP 443.
#108034 by holmes4
Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:08 am
I would think that for QoS, all you'd care about is UDP. Most routers I have dealt with allow me to just give an IP address of a device as an alternative to naming a service. Many of them come with a long list of applications (largely games) for which they have presets, but you can override these.)