This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#107895 by mphilips
Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:40 am
I have had my OOMA since November 2012. When I first hooked it up I had TWC as my primary VOIP provider. When I activated the OOMA using the first number I thought that voice quality was ok although I don't use my phone all that much. Sometime later after porting to my home phone the outgoing call quality became very poor. I tried to work with OOMA customer support but they were not helpful and the only thing they seemed to know how to do is set the QOS on the device and have me set up the config as MODEM --> OOMA --> ROUTER which I did and which I still have today. I have scoured over the forum pages as this seems to be the only way to get more advanced help and I have tried various things to resolve this. I have set the QOS myself various times. I have set the Home Network Port MAC to use built-in. I changed around my config to put the router before the OOMA (which is where I initially had it). OOMA support wants to blame it all on my home network, my internal wiring, my micro-wave. Everything but the OOMA device. The one consistent problem that I see is that when I run the phone power speed test is there is a high amount of jitter. That being said I never had poor phone quality with TWC and my equipment is identical to what I had then. I even used Magic Jack from my PC for awhile and that was even better than this. Any ideas?
#107896 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:52 am
mphilips:

First:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#107899 by mphilips
Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:25 am
thunderbird wrote:mphilips:

First:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

The following is my system minus the E2000 router

Download Speed: ______15687____kbps______
Upload Speed: ______987__kbps________
Download Consistency of Service _____48%___
Upload Consistency of Service ____99%_____
Maximum TCP Delay _________79 ms____
Jitter you server ___1.4 ms_______
Jitter server you ________0.6ms_
Packet loss: you server_____0.0 %__
Packet loss: server you _____0.0%_
Packet discards _0.0________
Packets out of order _0.0________
Estimated MOS score ___4.2_____
#107901 by mphilips
Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:33 am
thunderbird wrote:mphilips:

First:

This is with router... it progressively gets worse until I see values around 100 MS

Download Speed: _14662 _______________
Upload Speed: _____862___________
Download Consistency of Service ____61%____
Upload Consistency of Service _77%________
Maximum TCP Delay ________73 ms_____
Jitter you server ____17.6______
Jitter server you ______0.8 ___
Packet loss: you server___0____
Packet loss: server you _0_____
Packet discards ____5%_____
Packets out of order __0_______
Estimated MOS score ___3.8_____
#107902 by mphilips
Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:37 am
I contacted Cisco and they did not offer any advice on what to do. They offered no information about the high jitter values or how I could adjust the modem to help this. Since the router is older than 1 year they did offer to sell me chat support for $39.99. The router seems to work ok for all my other uses, i.e. wireless access from my dvd, wii, smartphone, printer as well as 2 PC's directly attached.
#107904 by Tom
Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:04 am
after porting to my home phone the outgoing call quality became very poor

Before you ported your number to Ooma any inbound calls would have been non-VOIP, thereby avoiding any router/ISP issues. That may explain the better voice quality then. VOIP relies on something called RTP, or realtime protocol, which only functions well if packets don't sustain great transmission delays. VOIP can accommodate jitter up to a point, but if it's too large or too variable it will kill VOIP.

Ask your ISP to check your DHCP configuration. Your DHCP server is currently configured as 10.15.192.1 which seems incorrect and causes the telo to continuously send DHCP renewals to a non-responding address.