This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#110704 by thunderbird
Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:57 am
johnjohnjohn53:
For troubleshooting:
Have you tried another phone? If not try another phone.

Another thing that you haven't done yet is to pack up your Ooma Hub and take it to a friend, relative, or neighbor’s home and temporarily connect the Ooma Hub to their Internet service and see if there is any improvement. Then for sure you will know if the problem is on the Internet provider side or not.

If your Ooma Hub works at the friend, relative or neighbor’s home, then next I'd try an increase of Internet speed.
#110707 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:06 am
murphy wrote:
johnjohnjohn53 wrote:called comcast and they sent a tec over and he said the same crap the other people on phone said. he reads everything as good. the only thing i didn't realize though is we have the lowest speed internet when we used to have blast speed prior to canceling cable with them. would of made sense to give us the same speed when i was doing that but i don't think it can be that do you? the tec said probably not. specially for packet loss he said. but he was hinting maybe ooma system is just old that i had it for 7years and maybe the machine is busted ....i would really hate to spend another 250 on a new one just to find out it wasn't the machine. maybe i'll buy a cheap ass magic jack and use that for a few months and see if i have any issues. i feel i'm at the end of my road here less anyone has any other suggestions.

If you have Comcast Economy internet that is not going to work. The method they use to slow it down is bad for VOIP.
I'm not sure what today's Comcast internet speed names are but I have Performance and it works fine.

Lite cable internet is definitely not good. I recall your download being 1.8Mbps yet your upload was 4.4Mbps. Doesn't look right. What speeds are you supposed to get?
#110717 by johnjohnjohn53
Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 am
on speedtest.net i always read a strong reading. usually around 21.10 to 22.83 mbps and 4.50 upload. (witch is what it has always read for years without issues to ooma) its on phonepower that i read the low readings only during half the same hours of the day, every day. the hours the phone is usually messed up.

i have used different phones and same issue so it's not the phone. fact we have a new phone we use right now. and prior to the new one we had 2 other phones and both still had this issue.

yet to try and bring the ooma to a friends house ...i guess i can try that next>< what a pain in ass this has become.
#110719 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 am
Last time I had good speedtest numbers but bad phonepower numbers, my modem was having issues but you just got a new modem so not sure what's going on. Only thing I can think of is that your comcast account profile is messed up so VoIP doesn't work very well with your account.

You have the same bad phonepower reading when directly connected to modem right? To rule out router.
#110722 by johnjohnjohn53
Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:28 pm
yeah had router completely unplugged and off for a day or 2. ooma is connected first now and still no change. would like to get this fixed and then i'll put it back to router then ooma then.
#110733 by EX Bell
Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:47 pm
John,

Sorry to repeat if you've heard this already. I looked back through the tread and couldn't see where you said you set the QoS properly based on your upload speed readings. The problem you describe sounds like classic misconfigured QoS.

On page 3 you showed an upload of 4465 kbps. You showed higher too, but I always take the lower number. However on page 4 of the thread you listed that your Telo upload QoS was set to 384 kbps and you were asking if it should be set to 0. Some say that if the Telo is connected after a router with its own QoS configured, then the Telo QoS settings should be set to 0, but right now, it is not after a router with its own configured QoS setting. The Telo is after your ISP modem

80% of 4465 kbps is 3572 kbps, so with the Telo after your ISP modem, this is what the Telo QoS setting should be set to. Please try setting the QoS in the Telo, save and then unplug the Telo for two minutes. Plug it back in and test if your outgoing voice quality is improved.

The way I test this is to call my cellphone voicemail. Then I go to speedtest.net and when it gets to the part of the speed test where it's testing upload speed, I speak continuously. Then I access my cellphone voicemail and see if the message was clear or if it's broken. If it's still, broken, I reduce the upload QoS setting and retest.

Now, I'll caution that this is not an ideal way to test because the message can sometimes be broken up and it has nothing to to with Ooma, but it's instead a bad cell connection. Anyway, give it a try. Hopefully setting the QoS correctly will resolve the issue for you.
#110736 by Tom
Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:56 pm
The default QoS (384 on hub, 512 on telo) will work in most situations. The only time you want QoS to more or less match your measured upstream bandwidth is if other equipment requires bandwith during calls. If during calls your network is otherwise idle the default will work.

Only exception is if the bandwidth is lower than the default. In that case you need to input a value lower than the default. Also never input a value greater than your measured upstream bandwidth. And make sure to not reverse the up and down values.
#110738 by EX Bell
Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:17 pm
Tom B wrote:The default QoS (384 on hub, 512 on telo) will work in most situations. The only time you want QoS to more or less match your measured upstream bandwidth is if other equipment requires bandwith during calls. If during calls your network is otherwise idle the default will work.

Only exception is if the bandwidth is lower than the default. In that case you need to input a value lower than the default. Also never input a value greater than your measured upstream bandwidth. And make sure to not reverse the up and down values.

OK, but a general observation is people are really not thinking about what their doing online anymore, whether upload or download. They're just using computers and tablet in many different ways and not really considering what their doing that might be disrupting the network for their Telo or any other device with minimum bandwidth requirements.

I think it's safe to assume that an average user is going to just use the Telo and if QoS is set wrong and problems occur, they'll blame Ooma for being at fault. Most would never consider that it's not setup correctly.

Seems that during a call, a 512 kbps limit would cause most users with higher upload capacity to become frustrated by the Telo limiting their capability. They probably wouldn't understand what is happening, they would just see the Telo as a bottleneck on their network.
#110744 by murphy
Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:03 am
With the Telo behind a router both QOS values should be zero which disables QOS.

The setup could be automated by Ooma to get the "appliance" users out of the setup picture.
If nothing is connected to the Home port, set both QOS values to zero.
If there is a connection to the Home port, run a speed test for both directions when the Telo goes online with the Ooma servers and set the QOS values accordingly. Some routers do this analysis every time they go online.
#110758 by johnjohnjohn53
Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:09 am
we just change these numbers at the ooma setup number online right? is there something i physically have to change on the ooma telo or anything like that? other then shut it off and turn it back on to re ajust itself?