This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#110352 by johnjohnjohn53
Wed May 29, 2013 5:46 am
anyone have any other possible fixes for me. basically tried everything in this thread. basically as an update to not rereading all my posts. i am reading bad stats from phonepower.com during the same hours. high volume hours seem to be when we get bad readings and bad call connections. ..i have tried all things possible even buying new modem. nothing is fixing it. thanks.
#110360 by johnjohnjohn53
Wed May 29, 2013 10:05 am
DOCSIS Downstream Channel Acquisition Done
DOCSIS Ranging Done
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Done
Establish Time Of Day Done
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP Done
Register Connection Done
Cable Modem Status Operational
Initialize Baseline Privacy Done

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Frequency 651000000 Hz 657000000 Hz 663000000 Hz 669000000 Hz 675000000 Hz 681000000 Hz 687000000 Hz 693000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB 37 dB 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
3 dBmV 3 dBmV 3 dBmV 3 dBmV 3 dBmV 3 dBmV 3 dBmV 3 dBmV

here is upstream

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 4 5 6
Frequency 36200000 Hz 29400000 Hz 22000000 Hz
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec 5.120 Msym/sec 2.560 Msym/sec
Power Level 45 dBmV 44 dBmV 43 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
[3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
[3] QPSK
[2] 16QAM

Ranging Status Success Success Success

looks like the readings are good but right now it's 2pm and my readings even on phonepower.com are good. reads. 4.2 MOS score. these are the hours my phone is working just fine. it's in a couple of hours it will kick in everyday and stop working right and my ratings drop to 1.0 and my phone gets bad drops and cuts in and out. i will check these readings again when they are bad and see if they change during those hours as well. personally it seems like a internet issue if it's always during certain hours or am i missing something>?
#110366 by murphy
Wed May 29, 2013 12:01 pm
Cable is a shared resource. When all of the families, that are on your node, kids come home from school and get on the internet that can cause a slowdown.
#110385 by johnjohnjohn53
Thu May 30, 2013 7:45 am
yeah but why is the phone suffering from it. you would think it be the last of things that are giving a problem cause of that. i can still play video games and mmo's and download things without seeing an issue during these hours. it's just the phone. and it's only the past few months. we have been using omma for like 6-8 years i think easily.
#110386 by lbmofo
Thu May 30, 2013 7:57 am
johnjohnjohn53, now that you have a new modem, if modem parameters are within spec (upstream, downstream power, and SNR), not sure why you are having non ideal speedtest voip quality readings.

If your Ooma is connected to your router, try putting Ooma ahead of the router viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

and check if your issues still exist.
#110387 by johnjohnjohn53
Thu May 30, 2013 8:34 am
it used to be connected to the router but i now have it first cause of all the issues. but still not fixed the issue. i have totally removed the router from the equation and it still was giving me these readings. basically have done everything in this and the other thread. i've allocated the highest amount saved. i've checked those numbers and they are good. nothing. everything went to shit when comcast tricked me into taking there new modem and voip service(with a charge) and then me telling them to stick it up there asses.
#110389 by lbmofo
Thu May 30, 2013 8:59 am
One thing you could do is to call Comcast and have a tech make sure your account has no VoIP attributes anywhere (they may have the wrong modem model reflected in your account?).
#110702 by johnjohnjohn53
Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:01 am
called comcast and they sent a tec over and he said the same crap the other people on phone said. he reads everything as good. the only thing i didn't realize though is we have the lowest speed internet when we used to have blast speed prior to canceling cable with them. would of made sense to give us the same speed when i was doing that but i don't think it can be that do you? the tec said probably not. specially for packet loss he said. but he was hinting maybe ooma system is just old that i had it for 7years and maybe the machine is busted ....i would really hate to spend another 250 on a new one just to find out it wasn't the machine. maybe i'll buy a cheap ass magic jack and use that for a few months and see if i have any issues. i feel i'm at the end of my road here less anyone has any other suggestions.
#110703 by murphy
Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 am
johnjohnjohn53 wrote:called comcast and they sent a tec over and he said the same crap the other people on phone said. he reads everything as good. the only thing i didn't realize though is we have the lowest speed internet when we used to have blast speed prior to canceling cable with them. would of made sense to give us the same speed when i was doing that but i don't think it can be that do you? the tec said probably not. specially for packet loss he said. but he was hinting maybe ooma system is just old that i had it for 7years and maybe the machine is busted ....i would really hate to spend another 250 on a new one just to find out it wasn't the machine. maybe i'll buy a cheap ass magic jack and use that for a few months and see if i have any issues. i feel i'm at the end of my road here less anyone has any other suggestions.

If you have Comcast Economy internet that is not going to work. The method they use to slow it down is bad for VOIP.
I'm not sure what today's Comcast internet speed names are but I have Performance and it works fine.