This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#110162 by lbmofo
Tue May 21, 2013 7:34 pm
At this point, I don't think it is anything in the Ooma device. When you swapped to your old modem, did you call into your cable provider to activate your modem giving them your modem's MAC address?
#110163 by johnjohnjohn53
Tue May 21, 2013 7:45 pm
no i did nothing like that. i did something like that for the new modem and then i switched back and never called them again for the old one. do i need to do that? i'll call them 2morrow morning if so.
#110165 by lbmofo
Tue May 21, 2013 8:48 pm
Yes, I am wondering if that's the issue. Call them to let them know you want to switch back to your old modem.
#110167 by murphy
Wed May 22, 2013 1:51 am
If you don't have Comcast phone service you don't have to rent a modem from them. I purchased my own modem long ago. The lack of a monthly fee has paid for my modem several times over. If you go that route do not buy anything less than a DOCSIS 3 modem.
#110190 by johnjohnjohn53
Wed May 22, 2013 3:56 pm
didn't realize i could buy one and drop that charge from them, i will do that this week thanks lol. what is best modem out right now that you recomend? i am looking at these 2 as a choice at moment http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorola+-+ ... Id=9962417 and this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motorola+-+ ... Id=7534146

as for my main issue i have been testing my speeds randomly since yesterday and this morning my speeds were great for some reason. i was at a rating of 4.2 my download speed seems to be the biggest issue. it goes from what it should be in like the 22mb like it always reads on speedtest.net when good and then it's down to 2000mb to 6000mb in the bad hours of the testing it with phonepower. is this a internet provider issue or can it still be equipment if it's drastically changing like this during certain hours. i will check again during the morning hours and see if it goes up again tomorrow. and i am going to call comcast today to have them reset my modem to my old one to see if that helps. thanks.
#110192 by lbmofo
Wed May 22, 2013 4:09 pm
Did you call your cable company to authorize the modem you are using yet?

If the modem is all you need, you can walk into a Costco store and get Motorola SB6121 for less than $75.

Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem: http://amzn.com/B004XC6GJ0
#110193 by johnjohnjohn53
Wed May 22, 2013 5:04 pm
i just got off phone with comcast, basically they say what they do on there end is the equivalent to resetting it on our end ourselves. lol so that isn't the issue i guess. they had me take a labtop to my modem directly and he said he reads on his end that our lines and modem are at 100% ok speed wise and no problems. he says what i plug into them isn't there issue long as they are reading ok on there side. witch is bullshit cause the problems started when they gave us the new modem. sometime this week i am going to buy a new modem and see if that fixes it. other then that i'm back to the drawing board and no clue what to do. i'll keep you guys posted and thanks for any additional help you can give.

lol i'ma go to cosco and get me a modem and... maybe go crazy shoping for huge cans and bags of foods too while i'm at it hehe.
#110249 by johnjohnjohn53
Sat May 25, 2013 12:38 am
k so i bought a new modem, docsis 3.0 Motorola surfboard extreme sb6141 ....saving 7bucks a month now. but the problem is still there. i have for sure noticed now that with phonepower.com i test and in mornings the readings are good. get around 4.0 to 4.5 on ratings. and my download speed is up to where it should be the full 22k. but as the day progresses it gets lower and lower till it's at a rating of 1.0 again and my phone is bad/broken up and drops out again. witch is the hours we use it the most of course during the nite. what does this mean for me and how i need to go about fixing it. not sure what the next step is. i do know that no matter what i get on phonepower.com ..speedtest.net always reads the full 22k and gives me a good read. and when i call comcast they read a good read on there end as well. and thus they say it's not there fault? so what gives? obviously it's the internet if it's during certain hours no? we never had this issue for 7years of using ooma but now we do. i have a feeling it's cause they are competing with there voip. but anyway. what is my next step? thanks.
#110252 by Tuan
Sat May 25, 2013 8:33 am
lbmofo wrote:If the modem is all you need, you can walk into a Costco store and get Motorola SB6121 for less than $75.

Motorola SB6121 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem: http://amzn.com/B004XC6GJ0

This is the one I use currently. Very reliable. I have an older (probably 10 yrs old) DOCSIS 2 modem from Motorola that I gave to my parents and it's still working.