This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#107675 by jduffy
Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:37 am
OK, so what am I looking for as far as issues with this new cable modem? I can get to the modem OK, just don't know what I am looking for as far as something out of the norm?

Also, the phone I am using is an Ooma HD2.
#107684 by jduffy
Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:34 pm
So the downstream runs anywhere from -4 to -6, but tends to be around -6 on most of the refreshes. So if the -6 is out of the norm, not sure what that means as the incoming audio is fine.

The upstream is a consistent 42. No other reading but 42 observed.
#107694 by lbmofo
Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:22 pm
Your upstream looks alright but downstream signal is a bit low. Perhaps, you can have your cable company come out to check why your downstream signal is -6 and not closer to 0. One indication of a good modem setup is how many days it stays online (mine stayed online for 43 days in a row; you can see this on the status page; mine is SB6121).
#107695 by lbmofo
Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:24 pm
Even if your modem is borderline parameter wise, you seem to be getting okay results from voip quality tests so not sure what could be going on unless you would have intermittent issues with internet connection. Not sure if you saw this thread about quality but you can take a look: viewtopic.php?t=10023
#107924 by jduffy
Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:58 am
Does anyone know, when you use Google Voice integration, and you specify to use the Google Voice number as the outgoing CallerID, is Ooma connecting the call with Google Voice instead of Ooma's network?
#108097 by jduffy
Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:10 am
OK, well the reason I asked is that I decided to run without GV integration for a week. Outgoing seems to be a bit better but still having outgoing issues.

I really wonder if it isn't an Ooma problem with the service. Others are posting issues with outgoing audio.

I've even had a few dropped calls this past week.

Have not had the audio issues and dropped calls issues with any of the other VOIP services I use: CallCentric, VOIP.ms, or Anveo.

Love the features of Ooma, but the outgoing audio issue is really hacking me off.
#108264 by copters
Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:24 am
I purchased my Telo about 30 days ago. Decided to port my number over right away (bad idea). Now, we are consistently having the same audio issues as described in this thread. The outgoing call quality drops whole words and because of that the called party has difficulties understanding anything spoken. We previously had Comcast VoIP and while they were kind of costly, the quality was perfect. Ooma certainly is not. I then decided to call customer dis-service and spoke to someone who had difficulty understanding me, which illustrated the problem 1st hand. She had me change the upstream and downstream settings to "0", since my router/switch is between the ooma and the cable modem (she said that the cable modem has QoS built in to it (which it may for their VoIP, but I don't think it does for the Ooma connection).

At any rate, same issue. By the way, the Ooma customer service rep said she would call me back in 30 minutes to see how the "fix" worked. That was 3 1/2 hours ago. Needless to say, I am not planning my afternoon around the call back.

In summary, if anyone has any success in resolving this issue (which I firmly believe is an Ooma issue and not a broadband or modem issue), then please post a reply. I really like the idea of Ooma and just wished it worked reasonably well. Otherwise, the painful search for a new telco provider and the subsequent re-porting of my number is not a pleasant thought. However, I will not continue with the sub-par QoS that Ooma has provided me to date. Maybe I should have bought the crappy Magic Jack instead. Can't imagine it being any worse for call quality.

And, if anyone from Ooma happens to read any of these forum posts, your customer service is almost non-existent. Your Ooma Telo is almost unusable. HELP!
#108266 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:52 pm
copters:
Some of the most common things to do:

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause Internet disconnects, dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________