This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#107623 by jduffy
Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:30 pm
I am constantly having issues with the outbound audio. Incoming is not an issue. The Telo HAD been behind the router, but since I had so many issues, I decided to put it in front of the router and behind the cable modem.

Now that it is behind the modem, I am still having issue with my audio. People tell me it is hard to understand because it keeps breaking up.

I have 20Mbps download and 2Mbps upload.

I set the QOS to 1600 for the upload and 18000 for the download.

I set the MAC address to use the Built-in address.

The funny thing is that the Telo, that I have with another number on the same Internet connection with the Ooma wireless adapter (thus behind the router) does not seem to have these issues.

So I am puzzled as to what to do. Since I use the aforementioned Telo for the home office, this broken audio is not giving people the best impression of me or Ooma.

Any other suggestions or fixes would be appreciated.
#107624 by jduffy
Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:35 pm
BTW, since I am guessing someone is going to ask for it, here is the Phone Power report:
Upstream jitter 0.5 ms
Downstream jitter 0.5 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet loss 0.0 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 100.0 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 4.1
REGISTER ms 320 ms
INVITE ms 316 ms
BYE ms 2 ms
#107626 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm
If the other Telo is working fine, have you tried swapping method of connection to see if same Telo is giving you problems? If so, maybe your number's carrier is the issue. Need to have Ooma customer support help you with that. Possible thing they can do to rule out hardware issue is to assign a temp number serviced by the same carrier that services your other Telo (that's good) and see if you still have same issue; if not, the issue can be narrowed down to the number you have and the carrier that services it.
#107628 by jduffy
Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:25 pm
Apparently my daughter indicated that the wireless connected Telo does at times also have crackling audio. So neither one is perfect.

I did try changing the upstream to 3000 as suggested so we'll see how that works.

The other thing I noticed is that sometimes it actually works as expected. But I need this to be reliable, quality audio all the time. I can't tolerate this hit or miss situation that I am experiencing now.
#107632 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:46 pm
Some things to check out:
More then likely there are fluctuations of the Upload Internet provider speeds during the day, is the reason for the differences in Quality of Service.

To test for that, you have to run Phonepower Speedtest during the times that you are having problems with the Ooma Telo phone service. Then compare the results.

In some areas, during heavy usage times, the Internet provider speeds have been reported to have dropped from 2000 kbps to around 200 Kbps.

Other reasons are that sometimes changes of Internet speeds are due to a defective Modem, or the Internet cable coming from the street to the Modem, has loose fittings, loose splices, or defective splitters in the line, which under extra load, will cut down the Internet provider speeds.

Resetting the Modem per the Modem manufacture’s owner’s manual will sometimes help.
Note: Some Modems contain batteries that must be temporarily removed to accomplish a successful Modem Reset or Reboot.

Also check for loose cable fittings. For testing try to at least temporarily bypass splices and splitters in the Internet cable that comes in from the street to the Modem.
#107637 by jduffy
Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:44 pm
I have checked almost everything you mentioned. My Internet speed really never seem to vary when I have been having the issues. The upload/download speed is very stable. The cable was replaced two years ago. Also, I have CallCentric and VOIP.ms using Obitalk and I am not having issues with either of those providers. This is strictly Ooma voice quality issues.

Even the cable modem is new.

It is frustrating to say the least.
#107641 by jduffy
Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:28 am
Hmm, well all that I provided came from the Phone Power results.

When I go to the advanced tab, it will not let me copy the text, I assume because of the Java applet.

But in looking at it, all the graphs and text, there is nothing bad in any of the reports on any of the tabs. It's telling me I should be able to support a very high quality VOIP connection.

I do not have any voice quality issues with the VOIP connections on my ObiTalk box which is wirelessly behind the router. I thought once I at least placed the Ooma device in front of the router, these audio issues would have gone away since now I am letting Ooma handle the QOS.
#107651 by lbmofo
Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:26 am
jduffy, check your cable modem readings?

murphy wrote:Connect to the status web page in your cable modem
http://192.168.100.1
Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)…
The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)
The SNR should be 35 or more.
The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.

If your modem numbers look questionable, do a “restore factory default” on the modem status page & reboot or do a hard reset if the modem has a reset button. Problem may also be too many cable splitters between incoming cable and the modem.
If you have DOCSIS 3 modem, the downstream should be between -5 and +5 dBmv and upstream should be less than 50 dBmV.

Also, what kind of cordless phone system are you using? DECT 6?