This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#106949 by peabody
Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 pm
I just activated my Telo today. It's a simple setup, with just a single wired phone plugged into the Telo, with no wifi or bluetooth, and the Telo is between the modem and the router. I've adjusted the QoS upstream bandwidth to 2mb, which is what I have on Cox Cable.

I use several old analog phones. Well, they're tone dialing, but no smarts at all. They work fine on my landline, but when using them on the Telo, the outgoing audio is bad. I can hear people clear as a bell, but they tell me I sound raspy and muffled at their end. On the other hand, a more modern phone (has at least one chip in it and can do last number redial) sounds a lot better to them. I've confirmed all of that by leaving test messages on my land line answering machine and on my cell phone's voice mail.

So I'm wondering if the Telo just doesn't do well with old analog phones. Of course it could just be coincidence that all three analog phones have problems and the one modern phone doesn't. But I wonder.

Any ideas for solving this would be appreciated.
#106956 by peabody
Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:01 am
lbmofo wrote:Are you talking one of these guys?

Well, actually, my phones aren't quite that modern. :-) But yes, pretty much along those lines. Office desk phones, no integrated circuits, tuned-circuit touch-tone generators, carbon disk microphones. They work great! But apparently not with a Telo - unless mine is just not working right. So I'm trying to find what experience others have had with these old phones.
#106957 by murphy
Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 am
Carbon microphones need to be rapped against a solid object on a periodic basis to keep the carbon granules loose.
You will never get high quality audio from a carbon granule microphone.

It is possible the Telo can't supply the current required to make a carbon granule microphone work properly.
#106966 by rpiotro
Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:39 am
murphy wrote:Carbon microphones need to be rapped against a solid object on a periodic basis to keep the carbon granules loose.
You will never get high quality audio from a carbon granule microphone.

It is possible the Telo can't supply the current required to make a carbon granule microphone work properly.

What he said is possible. Just for grins though, set your outbound QoS to 80% of your *measured* upload speed. Not the full advertised speed. See if that improves the call quality.
#107004 by peabody
Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 pm
I've tried a variety of QoS settings, with not even the slightest effect on audio quality. I've even tried shutting down the computer, so the phone is the only thing using the bandwidth, and the audio is still bad using the old phones.

Since I get good results with those phones on my land line, it seems the problem is the A-to-D conversion in the Telo. There must be something about the old phones that the Telo just doesn't handle well.

So, I think it's time to get new phones.

One thing I'm curious about is the speed test results I get. I've run it a number of times, and always get the same thing. The TCP speed is about 3 mbps, but the UDP speed is around 1 mbps. I don't know why there should be such a difference, or which one to use. Cox Cable has a speed boost thing, but I think that's only on downstream.