This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#16366 by corduroy
Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:43 am
My ooma went down this morning. When I did a speed test my internet was 0.6 down and 0.1 up!! .

Did a full power cycle on everything and now I am back up over 12 down and 2 up.

What's going on???
#16477 by Aveamantium
Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:10 am
atici wrote:
corduroy wrote:My ooma is directly after the cable modem.

I know. And that's the problem. Move it after the router: cable modem->router->ooma

Actually the Ooma is designed to be between the modem and the router and also works behind the router. Having the Ooma between the modem and the router is not a "problem" if configured correctly. I have had no speed issues with this configuration and actually prefer it as the Ooma only performs traffic shaping during a call.
#16480 by atici
Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:19 am
@Aveamantium: I know that's what it says in the manual and it may have worked fine for you. However just look at the number of issues in the forums about this which goes away immediately when ooma is moved after the router. I can tell you from my own experience it's not a configuration problem. ooma's QoS is just poor. This may change with Telo, who knows. But clearly ooma behind the router is a better option IMO.
#16482 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:40 am
Which ever way works for you, is what I say.

In my case ooma behind the router is the way to go. It depends a lot on the router, of course. I have a Linksys and Tomato firmware. I live in an apartment complex and rent out my wireless to 3 of the apartments. There's aprox. 4 pc's always in use and ooma works great, even with 2 lines going at once. Ooma takes what she needs and the pc's never notice.
If there is an issue I just pop into the router and tweak it a bit.
But, as they say, YMMV.

Wayne