This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#106667 by mncrnich
Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 am
I have an Ooma "Hub". http://www.amazon.com/ooma-Hub-Device-Monthly-Service/dp/B0010WG2H2

I never noticed a problem until the last couple of months. I have not changed anything on my internal setup/wiring. I have my internet connection going into my Ooma then into my wireless router. Ooma is the first branch in my setup.

During a call, the party on the other line occasionally cuts out. The pattern is 1-2 minute with full reception then 1 second dropped out. Further, there is a sound that happens as the voice is cutting out. I can liken it to the sound of a screw top beer opening. (I swear, I am not making this up).

Any suggestions for rectifying?

TIA

-Matt

Here is my results from http://www.powerphone.com

Speed test Statistics:
Download Speed: 11714 kbps
Upload Speed: 3437 kbps
Download Consistency of Service: 1%
Upload Consistency of Service: 13%
Download Test Type: Socket
Upload Test Type: Socket
Maximum TCP Delay: 1176 ms
Average Download Pause: 3 ms
Maximum Round Trip Time to Server: 74 ms
Average Round Trip Time to Server: 76 ms
Estimated Download Bandwidth: 20800 kbps
Route Concurrency: 1.7755948
Download TCP Force Idle: 67%

VoIP Test Statistics:
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you 8.0 ms
Packet Loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet Loss: server --> you: 0.0%
Packet Discards: 0.0 %
Packets Out of Order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS Score: 4.0
#106674 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:19 am
mncrnich:

Download Consistency of Service: 1%.........Should be around 80%
Upload Consistency of Service: 13%...........Should be around 80%
Maximum TCP Delay: 1176 ms..................Should be around 100 MS or less.

It looks like something is going on with your Modem or Internet Provider signal.

Check and see if your Modem has a reset procedure, reference your Modem Owner's manual. If it has a reset procedure, accomplish the reset procedure. Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem reset or reboot, reference the Modem Owner's manual. Accomplish the Reset or if there is no reset procedure, do a modem reset, then run Phonepower Speedtest again to see if there is improvement.

If you find no improvement, check and see if the Internet cable coming in from the street to your Modem, has any splices, connections or splitters inline. If so check each splice, connection and splitter for loose fittings, poor condition, etc. If there are splitters inline, see if you can temporarily remove/bypass the splitter(s) and then see if the Phonepower Speedtest results improve.

If you find no improvement, try another Modem.

If you find no Improvement, contact your Internet provider and have them correct the Internet signal.
#106742 by mncrnich
Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:00 pm
Download Consistency of Service: 1%.........Should be around 80%
Upload Consistency of Service: 13%...........Should be around 80%
Maximum TCP Delay: 1176 ms..................Should be around 100 MS or less.

It looks like something is going on with your Modem or Internet Provider signal.

Thanks for the information. These statistics are really helpful for solving the problem. I don't have a modem as I live in a multi-unit condo building which has an ethernet port in each unit which runs to a switch in a server room. At that point, I do not know the provider or if anything is configurable. Unfortunately my Consistency changes and I don't know if there is anything I can do.

Thank you for the help.

-Matt
#106748 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:05 pm
mncrnich:
You probably have to get the apartment maintenance people to check the Internet cables to see if there are splitters that are defective or have loose connections. Depending on how far your are from the computer room, thee may be many splitters in the Internet cable coming into your apartment. Any one of the splitters or splices, if defective or has loose connections, could cause the problem.
#106757 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:21 pm
The connection should be 1 wire from your apartment to the switch in the central area (no splitters should be there; at most more switches but doubt it). Have your apt folks change your connection to a different port in the switch and see if that makes a difference.