This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#107815 by KennyC
Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 pm
lbmofo wrote:
KennyC wrote:Most of my friends could plug and play in minutes. I am stuck with this "no incoming sounds" for days now. Anyone has any idea?

Do you have Uverse? /viewtopic.php?t=14339#p100138


No. I have DSL from AT&T. I tried again and defined the "ports forwarding" in my Netgear router/modem (Services and Firewall Rules) and Ooma box correctly now. I still have "no incoming sound". Norm from Level 3 support called me at my Ooma phone and left a 37 seconds message. I could listen the message using my PC but not from the Ooma box. The sound from Ooma is mechnical music and not recognizable.
#107817 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:05 pm
KennyC:
You probably tried this already, but did you try another different phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port.

Something else, try temporarily connecting the Ooma Telo directly to the Modem, for a Modem-Ooma Connection. After rebooting the Modem and then the Ooma Telo, then test for inbound audio.
#107818 by KennyC
Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:33 pm
thunderbird wrote:KennyC:
You probably tried this already, but did you try another different phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port.

Something else, try temporarily connecting the Ooma Telo directly to the Modem, for a Modem-Ooma Connection. After rebooting the Modem and then the Ooma Telo, then test for inbound audio.


Yes, I have tried different phones. I have an integrated modem/router. Direct connection to a modem is not an option. My modem/router is Netgear DG834G v4. I just finished talking with your L3 Support. He thought it may be problem with the Netgear and he suggested me to take the box to someone else's house and test the Ooma box. I'll follow the suggestions to isolate the problem. Ooma Support could not pin point the exact problem. Bummer.
#107824 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:20 pm
Bring a wired home and connect your Telo to a friend's router and check....should be less than 5 min ordeal to figure out if culprit is your internet setup at home.
#107831 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 pm
KennyC:
KennyC wrote:
thunderbird wrote:KennyC:
You probably tried this already, but did you try another different phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port.

Something else, try temporarily connecting the Ooma Telo directly to the Modem, for a Modem-Ooma Connection. After rebooting the Modem and then the Ooma Telo, then test for inbound audio.


Yes, I have tried different phones. I have an integrated modem/router. Direct connection to a modem is not an option. My modem/router is Netgear DG834G v4. I just finished talking with your L3 Support. He thought it may be problem with the Netgear and he suggested me to take the box to someone else's house and test the Ooma box. I'll follow the suggestions to isolate the problem. Ooma Support could not pin point the exact problem. Bummer.

You should be able to place the Ooma Telo's IP address in the Netgear DG834G's DMZ, reference http://documentation.netgear.com/dg834/ ... 06-03.html for procedure, to get this thing to work. Where it says Server, substitute the word Ooma Telo. You won't see the Ooma Telo name in the router, just a blank and the IP address.

To double check for which address is issued to the Ooma Telo:
By connecting a network cable to computer's wired LAN port, and to the Ooma Telo Home port, and after a computer reboot, you can then access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. Then click on the Status tab, then Ports tab to see the IP address and MAC address for the Ooma Telo Internet port.
#107838 by KennyC
Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:06 pm
thunderbird wrote:KennyC:
KennyC wrote:
thunderbird wrote:KennyC:
You probably tried this already, but did you try another different phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port.

Something else, try temporarily connecting the Ooma Telo directly to the Modem, for a Modem-Ooma Connection. After rebooting the Modem and then the Ooma Telo, then test for inbound audio.


Yes, I have tried different phones. I have an integrated modem/router. Direct connection to a modem is not an option. My modem/router is Netgear DG834G v4. I just finished talking with your L3 Support. He thought it may be problem with the Netgear and he suggested me to take the box to someone else's house and test the Ooma box. I'll follow the suggestions to isolate the problem. Ooma Support could not pin point the exact problem. Bummer.

You should be able to place the Ooma Telo's IP address in the Netgear DG834G's DMZ, reference http://documentation.netgear.com/dg834/ ... 06-03.html for procedure, to get this thing to work. Where it says Server, substitute the word Ooma Telo. You won't see the Ooma Telo name in the router, just a blank and the IP address.

Per your suggestion I added Ooma box's IP address (it is already a static IP address) in the DMZ in my modem/router. After power off and power on in proper order, I tested one inbound call and one outbound call, both failed with "no incoming sound". Problem was not corrected. I opened the Log file from the router (see below) and I saw lots of DOS (denied of Service). Would you be able to shed some light on these? By the way, Ooma10k rule was one of the nine set of ports defined in my port forwarding process. Ooma10k is the one for 10000 to 30000 UDP as you suggested. In addition to DMZ, I also have ports forwarding to the same IP address for Ooma box. Ports include 3480, 1194 and they both got DOS. I must have done something wrong.

BTW, I took my Ooma box to a friend's house and tested it out earlier. It worked perfectly. I think I can say I have isolated the problem to the modem/route which is not cooperating with Ooma.

Log File: (2 calls, 1st outbound, 2nd was inbound)
Wed, 2013-03-13 19:24:21 - UDP Packet - Source:68.54.77.220,60023 Destination:68.122.5.206,17030 - [Ooma10k rule match]
Wed, 2013-03-13 19:28:27 - UDP Packet - Source:68.54.77.220,60023 Destination:68.122.5.206,17030 - [Ooma10k rule match]
Wed, 2013-03-13 19:32:23 - UDP Packet - Source:208.83.244.102,3480 Destination:192.168.0.4,49192 - [DOS]
Wed, 2013-03-13 19:32:24 - UDP Packet - Source:208.83.244.102,14854 Destination:192.168.0.4,49192 - [DOS]
Wed, 2013-03-13 19:33:52 - UDP Packet - Source:208.83.244.106,3480 Destination:192.168.0.4,49362 - [DOS]
Wed, 2013-03-13 19:33:52 - UDP Packet - Source:208.83.244.120,1194 Destination:192.168.0.4,54275 - [DOS]
Wed, 2013-03-13 19:33:52 - UDP Packet - Source:208.83.244.106,3480 Destination:192.168.0.4,49362 - [DOS]
Wed, 2013-03-13 19:33:52 - UDP Packet - Source:208.83.244.106,18510 Destination:192.168.0.4,49362 - [DOS]
Wed, 2013-03-13 19:34:16 - UDP Packet - Source:68.54.77.220,60023 Destination:68.122.5.206,17030 - [Ooma10k rule match]
Wed, 2013-03-13 19:38:01 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.3

To double check for which address is issued to the Ooma Telo:
By connecting a network cable to computer's wired LAN port, and to the Ooma Telo Home port, and after a computer reboot, you can then access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. Then click on the Status tab, then Ports tab to see the IP address and MAC address for the Ooma Telo Internet port.
#107839 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:24 pm
That "firewall" modem is worriesome. Can you try disabling the SPI firewall and see?
#107840 by KennyC
Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:28 pm
lbmofo wrote:That "firewall" modem is worriesome. Can you try disabling the SPI firewall and see?


Tried that earlier. When it was disabled, I had no internet access. Even if it was successful, I don't feel comfortable disabling the firewall.
#107841 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:40 pm
Try it just for testing purposes. If you disable it, save the config and reboot everything. You should have internet and see if your Ooma works better. Once you find out Ooma works with SPI disabled, then you can ask the experts to see if SPI can be disabled without much risk.
#107845 by murphy
Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 am
See if your firewall has an entry for SIP.
If it does, disable it.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests