This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#105856 by freezedried74
Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:37 am
I have been using my Ooma Telo for about 2 months now. Occasionally when my wife calls she hears an annoying echo of her own voice. I believe this has only happened when she calls two specific phone numbers and it does not always happen when she calls those numbers. If the people residing at those phone numbers call us there is no echo issue. Previous to using the Ooma I used my cable providers VOIP phone service with no issues. I am using an HD2 and a panasonic Dect 6 handset. The Ooma is hardwired modem->router->ooma. I really like the Ooma but this is becoming a big issue with my wife as these two numbers are the people she speaks with most frequently.
#105857 by freezedried74
Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:40 am
I ran this a few weeks ago and I have power cycled the Ooma a few times to try to resolve he issue.

Download Speed: 15600 kbps
Upload Speed: 2119 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 91%
Upload Consistency of Service 99%
Maximum TCP Delay 28 ms
Jitter you server 0.7 ms
Jitter server you 0.9 ms
Packet loss: you server 0.0%
Packet loss: server you 0.0%
Packet discards 0.2%
Packets out of order 0.0%
Estimated MOS score 4.2
#105929 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:59 am
freezedried74 wrote:I ran this a few weeks ago and I have power cycled the Ooma a few times to try to resolve he issue.

Download Speed: 15600 kbps
Upload Speed: 2119 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 91%
Upload Consistency of Service 99%
Maximum TCP Delay 28 ms
Jitter you server 0.7 ms
Jitter server you 0.9 ms
Packet loss: you server 0.0%
Packet loss: server you 0.0%
Packet discards 0.2%
Packets out of order 0.0%
Estimated MOS score 4.2

Everything looks very good, except:
Packet discards 0.2%....................Should be Zero.

Check your Modem owner's manual to see if there is Modem reset procedure. If so, do the Modem reset procedure per the Modem owner's manual instructions. Note: Some Modems may contain a battery and there will not be a successful reset or reboot if the battery is installed. Check the Modem owner's manual to see if there is a battery. If there is a battery, temporarily remove the battery per the Modem owner's manual instructions. Then do a Modem reset or reboot.

Next run Phonepower Speedtest again and check to make sure the Packet discards are Zero.

Make and receive phone calls to the numbers that have echo and check for improvement.

Note: Ooma is in the process of pushing updated Ooma Telo firmware out, which you should receive within the next two weeks. The new firmware may also help.