This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#105239 by Reyncat
Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:23 pm
Hello,

Recently, I am having choppy outgoing voice quality. Incoming is clear as day.
I have tried multiple times to reset my modem, my router, and ooma.
My setup is as follows:

Cable modem -> Router -> Port 1 - Ooma
Port 2 - 1000gb switch - PC's, game-consoles, streaming devices, NAS, etc...
Port 3 - Torrent PC
Port 4 - Printer

I'm getting 10-20 Mbps consistently.
Started to read about setting the mac address of the Ooma device. Is this something I should pursue?

Thanks for any thoughts!
#105241 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:37 pm
Reyncat wrote:Hello,

Recently, I am having choppy outgoing voice quality. Incoming is clear as day.
I have tried multiple times to reset my modem, my router, and ooma.
My setup is as follows:

Cable modem -> Router -> Port 1 - Ooma
Port 2 - 1000gb switch - PC's, game-consoles, streaming devices, NAS, etc...
Port 3 - Torrent PC
Port 4 - Printer

I'm getting 10-20 Mbps consistently.
Started to read about setting the mac address of the Ooma device. Is this something I should pursue?

Thanks for any thoughts!

The first thing I would try is to set the MAC address to Use Built In.

Procedure follows:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

If you contunue to have problems:

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#105247 by Reyncat
Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:18 pm
Thanks for the detailed suggestions Thunderbird.
I will give it a try and post an update!
#126208 by clacambr
Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:21 pm
I am experiencing a similar problem with my Telo. This seemed to be a recent problem. I followed the procedure described, but the problem persists. I have my Telo behind a router now because when I had it the other way, my internet connection keeps dropping whenever I receive a phonecall.

PhonePower stats:

Download speed: 97182 kbps
Upload speed: 9978 kbps
Download consistency of service: 93 %
Upload consistency of service: 71 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 74 ms
Jitter: you --> server: 0.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %