This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#105007 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:45 pm
Twindad71 wrote:two separate times today I have not been able to make outgoing calls. Incoming calls work fine. Only rebooting router

Is your Ooma connected to the router? Is router going belly up? Try plugging Ooma into another LAN port....I am leaning towards your internet vs Ooma having issues. If your 2nd number works fine (just like before you ported), then there might be some issue with carrier routing but if both numbers are working the same (bad), then it is probably something else.
#105010 by Twindad71
Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:28 pm
lbmofo wrote:
Twindad71 wrote:two separate times today I have not been able to make outgoing calls. Incoming calls work fine. Only rebooting router

Is your Ooma connected to the router? Is router going belly up? Try plugging Ooma into another LAN port....I am leaning towards your internet vs Ooma having issues. If your 2nd number works fine (just like before you ported), then there might be some issue with carrier routing but if both numbers are working the same (bad), then it is probably something else.


This last time I wasn't able to dial out I had to reboot modem as well. And that only lasted an hour, then I wasn't able to dial out again for the 3rd time today, so I moved the Ooma back in front of the router, and I can dial out now without having to reboot modem.

Router is brand new...know that doesn't mean much but it distributes a signal just fine to my desktop and laptop...
#105012 by Twindad71
Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:45 pm
lbmofo wrote:Twindad71, take a look at your cable modem parameters and see what you have:

murphy wrote:Connect to the status web page in your cable modem
http://192.168.100.1
Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)…
The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)
The SNR should be 35 or more.
The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.


So if there is a problem with my modem going bad, as has been suggested, wouldn't there be a log of some sort of issue? I can see that page in the modem diagnostics. Nothing has been logged there since before I received my Ooma. Don't know if that helps or not.
#105013 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:05 pm
The toughest part about VoIP is when you have quality issues, there could be a lot of things going on other than the VoIP hardware/service.

I can tell you that it is rare to have Ooma hardware/service issues with a few exceptions (carrier routing issues is one example but your Ooma assigned number is having same problem so not likely the cause); if you get replacement Ooma and still same, then must be internet.

Could be your router (we have reported switch/router problem tanking Ooma performance/connectivity).

I personally experienced (family member) Ooma dropping calls and other quality issues periodically and randomly. After many many many trips to this family member's house, I finally caught the right time window when modem was acting up (saw some terrible numbers during this window of quality issues via VoIP quality tests; most other times, the tests came back fine). New modem for this family member got rid of the problem; problem hasn't returned for 2 years.
#105017 by Twindad71
Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:24 pm
lbmofo wrote:The toughest part about VoIP is when you have quality issues, there could be a lot of things going on other than the VoIP hardware/service.

I can tell you that it is rare to have Ooma hardware/service issues with a few exceptions (carrier routing issues is one example but your Ooma assigned number is having same problem so not likely the cause); if you get replacement Ooma and still same, then must be internet.

Could be your router (we have reported switch/router problem tanking Ooma performance/connectivity).

I personally experienced (family member) Ooma dropping calls and other quality issues periodically and randomly. After many many many trips to this family member's house, I finally caught the right time window when modem was acting up (saw some terrible numbers during this window of quality issues via VoIP quality tests; most other times, the tests came back fine). New modem for this family member got rid of the problem; problem hasn't returned for 2 years.


First of all lbmofo...just want to say that you have been a saint for your advice and for hanging in there with me on this...if I lived in Seattle I'd buy you a beer.

OK you have convinced me...I'll try to get my ISP to provide me with a new modem. Thing is though...I think they own it and it is proprietary to their service, so if it were as easy as just buying a new one to try it out I would have done that already. They may not send someone out to replace it (they normally put those cable collars on them that you need a special tool for - mine doesn't have one because I needed to move it to a different room) unless they have some data that it is not working properly.

What I will do is try it out at my mother's house (same ISP though) and see if the problem is still apparent.

Failing that, my only other option is to switch to another ISP. In my area there is only one other cable internet reseller. They claim faster speeds and I can buy a Docsis 3.0 modem from them (would that help?). The other advantage is that I could start fresh with them.

The number I ported over was from a digital phone service through my ISP (which I think is basically a VOIP), so what they may have done is reduce the quality of my service since they don't need to support my phone service anymore. Their modem has a light on it "Telephone 1" that blinks no matter how many times I have reset it (battery and all)

The crux of it is though...their service is built on the infrastructure of my current ISP, so what if it isn't the modem and something to do with the network in my area? Then I've thrown another $100 at the issue, with the possibility of no resolution to the phone issue and potentially problems with my internet service (not sure how proven the reseller in reliability themselves).

So...that is why I have been trying to be 100% sure it is not an Ooma issue before I possibly dig myself in even deeper of a hole...
#105018 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:05 pm
Twindad71 wrote:What I will do is try it out at my mother's house (same ISP though) and see if the problem is still apparent.

Thanks for the beer :)

What you said is a good idea. Try other people's internet & see.

Pretty much every cable company should support Motorola SB6121 modem ($74.99 costco, cheaper than Amazon) if you want to go that route.
#105023 by Twindad71
Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 pm
lbmofo wrote:
Twindad71 wrote:What I will do is try it out at my mother's house (same ISP though) and see if the problem is still apparent.

Thanks for the beer :)

What you said is a good idea. Try other people's internet & see.

Pretty much every cable company should support Motorola SB6121 modem ($74.99 costco, cheaper than Amazon) if you want to go that route.


I think I owe you a case now...you sir, are a genius...

Here is my latest test. My cellphone has unlimited internet and I can configure a wifi hotspot. So I figured out how to enable an ethernet connection to my laptop, connected the laptop to my cellphone through wifi, and then plugged the Ooma into the laptop. Ooma booted up and found the connection. Made a few test calls and what do you know...mechanical noises and delay were gone!

So...now I have some ammo to use against my ISP that the issue is the line and/or modem (over and above telling them that lbmofo from the internet says so :D). It is somewhat sad that a cell signal shared through wifi and then into the Ooma is drastically better than a high speed cable connection. I think that seals the deal on switching ISP's rather than fight with them. Here is their policy on installing modems (it is a bit like Communism around these parts when it comes to accessing the Internet):

http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/resident ... 79f543.php

Through a reseller I can rent a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for a month for $5 and make sure it works before buying it.

Godspeed...will post on how it goes...

Twindad71
#105043 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:04 pm
Twindad71 wrote:it is a bit like Communism around these parts when it comes to accessing the Internet):

I scanned through the package pricing and I am glad I don't have this as my ISP. So restrictive and expensive; cap on usage? A few streaming movies would get me in trouble I think. Anyway, I think your ISP is doing something suspect to VoIP traffic (as big ISPs in US did a while back until they got sued; I think your ISP might be sabotaging VoIP traffic when not a subscriber to their voice service); at least once you don't have thier VoIP, they don't do anything to help VoIP traffic. Perhaps, if speed is acceptable, try a DSL ISP? With the cable internet providers around my area, as long as I stay away from their beginning tier speeds, VoIP is no problem; maybe that's because they were the one that got sued before (Comcast).
#105344 by Twindad71
Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 am
Just wanted to post here and thank everyone for their assistance. Armed with the advice and feedback I received here I called my ISP to inform them that the issue was definitely with either their modem or the service. Gave them 3 options: (a) new modem, (b) improve service, or (c) I would switch to another ISP. They had a tech out here two days later on their dime. He couldn't find any problems with the service, so he swapped the telephony-style modem for a different brand without the telephone jack, and presto...problem solved!

Thanks again...you folks are the best...

Twindad71
#105346 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 am
Twindad71 wrote:They had a tech out here two days later on their dime. He couldn't find any problems with the service, so he swapped the telephony-style modem for a different brand without the telephone jack, and presto...problem solved!

Great to hear your problem is resolved.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests