This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#104958 by Twindad71
Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 am
murphy wrote:Who is your ISP?
The fact that your modem has a battery tells me it is a telephony modem.
If you are cancelling the ISP's phone service you no longer need that modem.
You should be able to purchase a new modem of your own and stop paying rent on the ISP's modem.

Cogeco.

There is no rental fee on my bill for the modem - I'm sure it is built in to the monthly fees.

Though now that you mention it since I ported over there is a light blinking on the front of the modem..."Telephone 1". Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but resetting the unit doesn't stop it from flashing.

I don't know if there is a battery in it. Haven't dug into it yet. It must though since just unplugging it from the wall doesn't shut it off.

Thanks for your reply and input Murphy.
#104959 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:55 am
Twindad71:
The difference between Speedtest.net and Phonepower Speedtest results are probably due to the locations/distances traveled for each test. Because of this the tests measure "different Internet loads".
Speedtest.net usually connects to a location very close to the location being tested from (your location).

I believe Phonepower Speedtest connects to a location in Arizona. In Speedtest.net, you can select a location in Arizona, and then see what the differences are.

I find that Phonepower Speedtest reports more closely what is really happening to the Internet signal received at your location.
#104964 by Twindad71
Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 am
thunderbird wrote:Twindad71:

I believe Phonepower Speedtest connects to a location in Arizona. In Speedtest.net, you can select a location in Arizona, and then see what the differences are.

Right after I ran this I ran phonepower again. 930 kbps.

Download consistency of speed up to 64% and TCP delay 1886 ms. Not within the ranges that you suggested were good but significantly improved from 1st test.
#104973 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:28 pm
Twindad71:
TCP delay 1886 ms is just terrible. I think you have the area of your Modem or Internet provider signal to work on.

Follow the procedure below and fill in the blanks so that I can see what else may be happening.
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#104984 by Twindad71
Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:16 pm
thunderbird wrote:Twindad71:
TCP delay 1886 ms is just terrible.

Sorry typo it was 186 ms. So much better than before, not where you want it, but still no difference in call quality.

thunderbird wrote:Follow the procedure below and fill in the blanks

Like I said I've ran that a number of times...I'm not sure how much to trust it though as it pegs my speed consistently at least 10 times slower than any other speed test, even to servers in Arizona.

Thanks for your persistence on my issue...
#104985 by Twindad71
Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:22 pm
lbmofo wrote:If you still have the Ooma assigned number in your account, have someone call that number and see if there is any difference.

Had a chance to try this today. Was a great idea, I didn't think that initial number would still work but it does.

That said, exact same issue now on that number as well.

Again...it seems too coincidental that the issue cropped up as soon as I ported, and now affects my original number as well. I sincerely appreciate all the help I have been getting here...thought there might be some more insight into the port over as the issue though...
#104987 by Twindad71
Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:56 pm
murphy wrote:There should only be one split between your incoming line and the cable modem.
Do whatever you have to so that is a reality.
The splitter must be a bi-directional splitter, rated for 5 to 1000 MHZ, or the upstream signal will be seriously degraded.

One split. I just moved and was talking to the tech who hooked up to my cable so I saw him do it. Just checked the splitter itself and indeed it is 5 to 1000 MHZ. All connections are tight.

Just as an easy experiment I hooked up a cable signal amplifier (the kind that runs on AC power) that I had lying around from a previous house. Not sure how it works on digital signals, maybe just analog. Made no difference at all either right before modem or right before splitter.
#104998 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 am
Twindad71, take a look at your cable modem parameters and see what you have:

murphy wrote:Connect to the status web page in your cable modem
http://192.168.100.1
Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)…
The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)
The SNR should be 35 or more.
The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.
#105003 by Twindad71
Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 pm
lbmofo wrote:Twindad71, take a look at your cable modem parameters and see what you have:

murphy wrote:Connect to the status web page in your cable modem
http://192.168.100.1
Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR)…
The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)
The SNR should be 35 or more.
The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.

Downstream signal power: 4 dBmV, SNR 39 dB

Upstream power level: 39 dBmV
#105006 by Twindad71
Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:34 pm
Oh and now another problem I am really happy about...two separate times today I have not been able to make outgoing calls. Incoming calls work fine. Only rebooting router and then Ooma has restored it. Yes I took off the cable signal amplifier I tried out.

This is becoming a total nightmare. If the new unit Ooma is sending me doesn't work, the whole thing is going back and I'll have to try something else. Will Ooma refund my $40 porting charge or will I have to eat that?