This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#104911 by Twindad71
Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:36 pm
Hi Everyone,

OK - here goes - so after testing the Ooma VOIP service extensively with the temporary # they gave me when I activated I was very happy with the performance and call quality. Actually better than my home phone. So I ported my number over expecting the same quality to continue. It didn't. I now get the mechanical noises, echo and delay that has been described variously in these forums - it is very difficult to carry on a conversation. Numerous calls to support have not been fruitful - nothing has changed. So far I have tried:

- adjusting quality of service on Ooma box
- adjusting quality of service on router
- switching MAC address to built-in
- rebooting everything (modem, router, Ooma) after making changes
- plugging in a cordless phone
- moving Ooma in front of router

Nothing works. Problem persists at any time of night or day. Ooma's own line quality tests have rated my connection as "excellent" every time I have run it.

Ooma 3rd level support blames all of this on my ISP. Called my ISP, they ran a few tests, said that everything was perfect and unchanged to my service since the port-over. And you guessed it...they blame my VOIP provider.

So what to do now? Ooma is sending me a replacement box after my 7th or 8th call...doubt this will help. Asked if they could re-port my number...they said this wasn't possible...

And now I'm out (so far) $100 for a new router (bought as a precaution so I could adjust QoS), $150 for the Ooma box, and whatever my ISP is going to ding me for cancellation charges. So lets say $300 for a phone line I can barely use now.

I would blame myself if I just did this without testing it all out 1st, but like I said it was rock solid for weeks before the port-over. It is too much of a coincidence that this happened as soon as the port over happened.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated...I feel very stuck right now with this. Only option may be to return Ooma box and go with another VOIP provider.
#104914 by thunderbird
Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:54 am
Twindad71 wrote: I now get the mechanical noises, echo and delay that have been described variously in these forums - it is very difficult to carry on a conversation.

Some ideas to start with.

For Echo and Delay:
This problem is almost always a malfunctioning or defective Modem.

Check your Modem owner's manual and see if there is a Reset procedure. If so do the Reset procedure.
Note: Some Modems contain batteries that must be temporarily removed to be able to have a successful Modem Reset or Reboot. Check your Modem owner's manual to see if your Modem contains batteries and if so, for the battery removal procedure, etc.

If echo and delay continue, try another Modem.

For Mechanical Noise:
This problem is often caused by an intermittent Internet signal. It can also be caused by problems on the Ooma side.

Power off your Ooma Telo for one hour. This gives the Ooma Servers time to rebuild/repair your Ooma profile. Then power back on the Ooma Telo and test.

If the problem continues:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#104926 by Twindad71
Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:22 am
Thank you for your reply lbmofo...much appreciated.

lbmofo wrote:Is it only on outgoing calls, incoming calls or both?

Both...makes no difference...

lbmofo wrote:If you still have the Ooma assigned number in your account, have someone call that number and see if there is any difference.

It is still assigned...never thought of that. It rings through from my cell...can't test it right now though but will report back shortly.

lbmofo wrote: If outgoing call, try using *96 dialing prefix (or *98) to call out and see. /viewtopic.php?t=14903

Makes no difference with either prefix.

Thanks again for helping me. The old number will be a great test to see if it was the port out #.
#104939 by Twindad71
Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:53 pm
thunderbird wrote:For Echo and Delay:
This problem is almost always a malfunctioning or defective Modem.

Have reset modem already a couple of times using button on back. Will see if there is a battery I can pull as well. Modem is owned by ISP so I can't just try another one. When I called ISP they said they ran tests on it and that it was fine. Wouldn't they be able to tell it was defective?

thunderbird wrote:Power off your Ooma Telo for one hour. This gives the Ooma Servers time to rebuild/repair your Ooma profile. Then power back on the Ooma Telo and test.

Thanks I will try this tonight, and leave it off all night and try it again in the morning.

thunderbird wrote:Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: 3766 kbs
Upload Speed: 1014 kbs
Download Consistency of Service 16%
Upload Consistency of Service 94%
Maximum TCP Delay 553 ms
Jitter you server 4.5 ms
Jitter server you 4.0 ms
Packet loss: you server 0.0%
Packet loss: server you 0.0%
Packet discards 0.0%
Packets out of order 0.0%
Estimated MOS score 4.1

Thunderbird thank you for your advice and for giving me a hand with this. I really appreciate it.
#104941 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:55 pm
Looking at your VoIP quality numbers, is your Internet speed supposed to be 4 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up?
Kind of slow for cable. Did you switch over to slower speeds recently? Lite version of Internet is not good for VoIP. They do stuff to throttle your speed that hurts VoIP quality. The download consistency and max TCP delay looks concerning.
#104946 by murphy
Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 am
Who is your ISP?
The fact that your modem has a battery tells me it is a telephony modem.
If you are cancelling the ISP's phone service you no longer need that modem.
You should be able to purchase a new modem of your own and stop paying rent on the ISP's modem.
#104948 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:51 am
Twindad71 wrote:Download Consistency of Service 16%.............This value should be around 80%
Maximum TCP Delay 553 ms.......................This value should be 100 or less.

The above two values tell you that there is something going on with your Modem or Internet provider signal.

Do you have any splices or splitters in the Internet cable coming in from the street to the Modem?
If you do have splitters or splices in the line coming in from the street, check each splitter or splice to make sure the connections are tight.
If there are splitters, try to temporarily remove the splitters, and connect the Modem directly for testing. Check the cable for overall condition.

If you don't find any problems with the Internet cable coming in from the street to your Modem, the next step would be to try another modem.

If another modem doesn't help, have the Internet provider make corrections.
#104956 by murphy
Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:54 am
There should only be one split between your incoming line and the cable modem.
Do whatever you have to so that is a reality.
The splitter must be a bi-directional splitter, rated for 5 to 1000 MHZ, or the upstream signal will be seriously degraded.
#104957 by Twindad71
Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:09 am
lbmofo wrote:Looking at your VoIP quality numbers, is your Internet speed supposed to be 4 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up?
Kind of slow for cable. Did you switch over to slower speeds recently? Lite version of Internet is not good for VoIP. They do stuff to throttle your speed that hurts VoIP quality. The download consistency and max TCP delay looks concerning.

No changes other than porting my phone over. My service is supposed to be 14 mbps. At Speedtest.net I get consistently close to that:

Ran the phonepower.com test again right after getting this result and DL was only 900ish kpbs, several times in a row (strange).

Tried another VOIP speed test and consistently it read around 12-14 Mbps:

So I wonder now what is up with the phonepower readings?