This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#104530 by wrj
Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:43 pm
I was having terrible problems with voice quality. I could hear people fine but they couldn't understand me because of voice breakup. I had modem-router-telo. The telo was on a static IP. Everything was working fine for a year or more. Then the voice problems started. I called tech support and they downloaded something even though the tests they had me run said all was okay with my Voip. Anyway there fix didn't work so I moved the Telo between the modem and router and all phone was fine but I lost the internet. So I put the Telo back behind the router. Internet and voice are fine but I can no longer access Ooma setup.

I unhook the ethernet from the Telo and connected my laptop directly to the HOME port. The Telo had power and an ethernet on the HOME port directly to my laptop. BTW, the Telo is flashing red on the Ooma logo. But I can't get in via 172.27.35.1. Wireless is off on laptop. Now I had port forwarding set sometime prior but I don't think it is enabled now. Maybe that's the issue. Regardless, any help on how can I get into the Telo's setup?
#104536 by thunderbird
Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:07 am
wrj wrote:I was having terrible problems with voice quality. I could hear people fine but they couldn't understand me because of voice breakup. I had modem-router-Telo. The Telo was on a static IP. Everything was working fine for a year or more. Then the voice problems started. I called tech support and they downloaded something even though the tests they had me run said all was okay with my VoIP. Anyway there fix didn't work so I moved the Telo between the modem and router and all phone was fine but I lost the internet. So I put the Telo back behind the router. Internet and voice are fine but I can no longer access Ooma setup.

I unhook the Ethernet from the Telo and connected my laptop directly to the HOME port. The Telo had power and an Ethernet on the HOME port directly to my laptop. BTW, the Telo is flashing red on the Ooma logo. But I can't get in via 172.27.35.1. Wireless is off on laptop. Now I had port forwarding set sometime prior but I don't think it is enabled now. Maybe that's the issue. Regardless, any help on how can I get into the Telo's setup?

First:
With the connection Modem-Router-Ooma:
Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma Telo. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, you should see a solid blue Ooma Symbol.

If you only get to the red Flashing Ooma symbol, do a factory reset of the Ooma Telo, procedure below:

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right. (Sequence above may be slightly different with later firmware visions)
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

Access Ooma Setup.
With the connection Modem-Router-Ooma-Computer:
With the Ooma Telo booted as far as it will go (at least to the Red flashing Ooma Symbol), connect a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port, to the Wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open.

If you still have the Red flashing Ooma Symbol, report that here and I can give you something else to do.

Set MAC address:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Set the Quality of Service setting on the Ooma Setup Advanced page Upstream and Downstream setting both to Zero.
#104544 by wrj
Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:53 am
Thanks for you suggestions. I rebooted all devices in order. I have cable modem--Linksys E3000--Ooma Telo configuration. Ooma is working and all lights are blue.

My E3000 is serving 192.168.1.101 to Telo via ethernet cable (no wi-fi on Ooma). I'm running Tomato firmware on E3000 so I can see devices which are connected. Port forwading is not set on Ooma. I tried accessing Ooma setup via browser using 192.168.1.101. No luck. Then removed ethernet cable and connect ethernet from laptop with radio off. Ooma started flashing red and then connected to Home port and tried 172.27.35.1 and still no luck. Turned off virus and Windows 7 firewall.

One thing I noticed. I took screen snapshot of setup before problem and noticed that Tomato on E3000 show different MAC addresses. They last number of MAC was "A4" before I started and now Tomato says "A5". Also, I pinged 192.168.1.101 and it responds but 172.27.35.1 times out.

Any suggests on next sets?
#104547 by thunderbird
Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:31 am
wrj wrote:Thanks for you suggestions. I rebooted all devices in order. I have cable modem--Linksys E3000--Ooma Telo configuration. Ooma is working and all lights are blue.

My E3000 is serving 192.168.1.101 to Telo via ethernet cable (no wi-fi on Ooma). I'm running Tomato firmware on E3000 so I can see devices which are connected. Port forwading is not set on Ooma. I tried accessing Ooma setup via browser using 192.168.1.101. No luck. Then removed ethernet cable and connect ethernet from laptop with radio off. Ooma started flashing red and then connected to Home port and tried 172.27.35.1 and still no luck. Turned off virus and Windows 7 firewall.

One thing I noticed. I took screen snapshot of setup before problem and noticed that Tomato on E3000 show different MAC addresses. They last number of MAC was "A4" before I started and now Tomato says "A5". Also, I pinged 192.168.1.101 and it responds but 172.27.35.1 times out.

Any suggests on next sets?

Did you reboot the computer after you connected the network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port to to the wired LAN port of the computer? This step is very important because it loads the IP address from the Ooma Telo Home port.

You can also, in your computer, click on Start, then Run, in the window that opens type cmd and enter. A dos window will open.
To the right of the C:\ string, type ipconfig/all
You should see 172.27.35.1
If there is another IP number there, do an ipconfig/renew command.

Then try to access Ooma Setup with your computer browser.

One other thing to check is that your computer may not be set to automatically load an IP address that is issued from the Ooma Telo Home port, but instead is set to use some other staic IP address. At the following site, is procedure to set the computer's LAN port, back to automatic:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... P-settings

If you still can't access Ooma Setup, do the Ooma Telo Factory reset procedure.
#104551 by wrj
Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:51 am
Thunderbird:

Thank you. Your last paragraph reminded me I had my laptop set with a static IP. Once I changed that, 172.27.35.1 worked on HOME port.

Thanks again