This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#104488 by mjl1297
Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:59 pm
Just hooked up Ooma tonight and am trying it out for the next few days to see if I like it better than Viatalk. I have it hooked up Modem-Ooma-Router but I am noticing a few things already. I made a test phone call with my mobile and I noticed that my home phone doesn't start ringing until the second ring on my mobile is about to start. The reverse is also true when I call my mobile from the home phone. This may be normal I don't know. My wife and I have also noticed a very slight "clicking" noise in the background when we are talking. It isn't all that distracting but it is definitely there if you listen for it. Any ideas as to what this could be or suggestions on what to do? Many thanks
#104490 by lbmofo
Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:26 am
As for delay in ring, that happens with your other VoIP doesn't it?
As for the clicking, make sure your Telo is plugged into a clean power source. Try using a wired phone to see if clicking still happens. Place Telo at least a couple of feet away from other RF transmitters/electronic devices.

Not certain if same issue but you will find some threads when searching "clicking noise."

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155
#104491 by murphy
Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:07 am
mjl1297 wrote:My internet speed is 18.91 Mbps up (sometimes a wee bit faster) and 1.02 Mbps down.

That is almost certainly backwards.
Down (ISP to you) is always faster than up (you to ISP) on cable.

Yes you need to set the QOS in the Telo to match your service if the Telo is between the modem and the router.
#104499 by mjl1297
Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:55 am
@murphy yes you are quite correct! :D I didn't proof that post.

@lbmofo I really can't say if that happened with the other VOIPs as I never tested for it if I recall correctly. The ring delay really isn't that big of a deal I just thought I would ask.

The power source is clean and line conditioned. Positioning the Telo so that it is two feet away from every other electronic and RF devices may be easier said than done especially in my office. If that is the source of the problem you would think the unit would be better shielded than that. I will make those other adjustments later tonight. Many thanks.