This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#104432 by OomaGirl
Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:05 pm
I finally got the quality of Ooma to be decent. I have Ooma behind my router and followed the instructions to change settings with laptop connected to the HOME port. I also changed my router QOS settings. But I'm still having problems where:

1) I dial but then it doesn't ring or connect. I have to hang up and try a second or third time.

2) This problem is much more important the first. I'll be on a call for minutes, and then suddenly I can't hear the other person. I am not sure if they can hear me. The call doesn't seem to drop, but it cuts out the sound, so I have to hang up and call back. This is a big problem.

I haven't tried to ask my ISP yet.

Problem 2 happened to me just a few minutes ago. Speed test results from right now:
Ping 61 ms
Download 2.92 Mbps
Upload 0.32 Mbps

Then I clicked New Server and did a second speed test. Results were worse:
Ping 67 ms
Download 1.47 Mbps
Upload 0.30 Mbps
#104440 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 pm
OomaGirl:
Quote from Ooma: Ooma is engineered for great voice quality but you will need a high-speed Internet connection equivalent to at least a typical DSL connection with 384 kbps upstream and downstream.

It looks like your Internet speed is right on the edge for Ooma to work properly.

Contact your Internet provider and find out what your Upload and Download Internet speeds should be.

If the the speeds that you are measuring are much lower then the speeds that your Internet provider say you should have, you may have to have your Internet provider find out why the Internet speeds are low, and make adjustments.

If the Internet speeds the you are measuring are about the same that the Internet provider says you should have, then you may have to the the Internet speeds increased.

Also make sure that in Ooma Setup, Advanced page, that the MAC address is set to Use Built In MAC address.