This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#104299 by Tom Stuart
Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:33 pm
I've had an Ooma Telo 4-5 weeks, connected between the cable modem and the router with the Telo plugged into the house phones.

90% of the calls are satisfactory. In some cases, however, the quality becomes poor with voice disintegration. A few become too poor to continue. Sometimes the poor quality appears quickly, other times it appears only after several minutes. Sometimes it is on one side, sometimes on both sides. I have the firmware sent out in November.

I've run the phonepower test, as suggested in another thread, and nothing indicates poor quality, even when run in the middle of a poor line session.

Is this par for the course, or is there something left to try?
#104300 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:17 pm
Tom Stuart wrote:I've had an Ooma Telo 4-5 weeks, connected between the cable modem and the router with the Telo plugged into the house phones.

90% of the calls are satisfactory. In some cases, however, the quality becomes poor with voice disintegration. A few become too poor to continue. Sometimes the poor quality appears quickly, other times it appears only after several minutes. Sometimes it is on one side, sometimes on both sides. I have the firmware sent out in November.

I've run the phonepower test, as suggested in another thread, and nothing indicates poor quality, even when run in the middle of a poor line session.

Is this par for the course, or is there something left to try?

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next If you have a Modem-Ooma-Router connection:
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed from 80% to 85% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 or .85 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

If you are using a Modem-Router-Ooma Connection, set the Ooma Setup Advanced page Quality of Service settings both to Zero.