This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#105783 by Tom
Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:54 pm
sab193 wrote:We've been experiencing the problem for about 4 months now

Your account was configured to use the high bandwidth codec (G.711) on all calls which may have been responsible
for the issues you've been experiencing. It's now disabled.

On 1/23 your logs also show a problem obtaining your public IP/port mapping which is needed to send audio across
your router and would cause 1-way audio. This is generally an ISP issue and may be resolved by rebooting the entire
network or shutting it down overnight. Putting the Ooma in front of the router is the best solution.
#105795 by jduffy
Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:47 am
Thanks, but that brings up a few more questions.

OK, so it turns off the Ooma QOS. In that case, how much bandwidth is it actually using when you are basically telling Ooma that you have plenty of up/down bandwidth available?

The reason I ask is that it appears that maybe the best quality Codec would use about 50Kbps at most up or down. So why would you ever set the QOS to 512K? Why not just 60K?

The whole QOS does not make any sense to me. I read the post saying that you run to Phonepower test, then set the up/down bandwidth to around 80%/85% of those values. So why would you set the (for example) the download bandwidth to 85% of 20Mbps, or 17Mbps if Ooma is only going to use maybe 60Kbps download max?
#105808 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 pm
Tom:
Since there are many Ooma users that can only connect Modem/Router Combo-Ooma, what is the Ooma Setup Quality of Service settings when the user is connected Modem/Router-Ooma?
#105810 by lbmofo
Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:30 pm
Modem+Router/Ooma should be same as Modem/Router/Ooma, therefore, 0 to disable QoS and not connect anything to the Ooma "Home" port.
#105811 by Tom
Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:48 pm
Correct and set QoS on the router if possible to give preferential treatment to voip traffic, especially if there's a
number of devices in parallel with the Ooma behind the router.
#105879 by Bojamijams
Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:42 pm
Thunderbird mentioned in a different thread (about echo issues/unable to hear calls) that some beta firmware (which Level 2/3 support had to install on a case-by-case basis) fixed the issues of the echo/not hearing people.

This was about 2 months ago or so. Do you, Tom, know when this firmware will be pushed to all the customers?
#105881 by thunderbird
Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:48 pm
Bojamijams wrote:Thunderbird mentioned in a different thread (about echo issues/unable to hear calls) that some beta firmware (which Level 2/3 support had to install on a case-by-case basis) fixed the issues of the echo/not hearing people.

This was about 2 months ago or so. Do you, Tom, know when this firmware will be pushed to all the customers?

The latest Firmware release 65208 started being pushed out yesterday.

See thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15151 for more information as when it will probably be pushed to you.

This thread tell about some of the things that were corrected in this release: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15188
#105925 by jduffy
Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:47 am
thunderbird wrote:
Bojamijams wrote:Thunderbird mentioned in a different thread (about echo issues/unable to hear calls) that some beta firmware (which Level 2/3 support had to install on a case-by-case basis) fixed the issues of the echo/not hearing people.

The latest Firmware release 65208 started being pushed out yesterday.

See thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15151 for more information as when it will probably be pushed to you.

This thread tell about some of the things that were corrected in this release: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15188

FYI - Don't use the chat service to ask them to update the firmware in the Telo. They cannot and when you tell them that's all you need, they just ask question after question before submitting a ticket. Probably just easier to call (maybe?) and ask them.

I have many of the issues with the HD2's and both of my Telo's so I wanted to get the update now and decided to use the 24 hour chat today to make the request. That was a mistake. They have to create a ticket for Level 2 support and who knows if I will really get the firmware update that I need.

I think I have experienced about half of the issues that the new release is suppose to solve.

Regards,

Duffy
#105941 by jduffy
Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:37 am
About 12 hours after going through the Chat ordeal and them creating a ticket for Level 2 support, my Telo's were upgraded apparently along with the HD2 handsets. One of the handsets was not on the charger and when I picked it up it said to put the handset on the cradle to upgrade the software. So I did.

I checked both Telo's and they had the new firmware.

I have now made a number of calls and am happy to report that all the issues I was having appears to have been resolved...so far (fingers crossed).

Duffy