This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#105365 by sab193
Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:18 pm
Thank you for the quick reply! However, I have already set the QoS settings as you have indicated. Let me know if there is anything else I should try.
#105366 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 pm
sab193 wrote:Thank you for the quick reply! However, I have already set the QoS settings as you have indicated. Let me know if there is anything else I should try.

FYI:
A couple of years ago there were mass one way conversations issues that were caused on the Ooma Side.
Ooma had to make corrections on their side to fix these issues.

Something else to try besides contacting Ooma:
Have you tried to temporarily move the Ooma Telo to the LAN side of the Router for a Modem-Router-Ooma Connection? For that connection, normally the Ooma Setup Quality of Service settings are set to Zero, and nothing is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, except to connect a computer to access Ooma setup.

Sometimes if there are momentary stoppages of the Internet signal, using the Modem-Router-Ooma connection, the Router will bridge the Internet signal stoppages, and two way conversations can be continued. It just another thing to try. (But Robotic voice may be heard sometimes).
#105529 by sab193
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 pm
Ok. I finally switched the setup to be modem->router->ooma and I set QoS to 0. I'll keep my fingers crossed and I'll let you know how it goes.
#105689 by sab193
Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:30 pm
It happened again the very next morning. I just got off the phone with Ooma level 3 support. At first they said it was due to my connection losing 20% of packets. I couldn't believe it so I ran pingtest while I was on the phone with them and had 0% loss during every test. Then they said it was due to my upload speed being 275kps when they require 384kps. It was only that low because I was using my Ooma to talk to them and using some of my upload speed. As soon as I got off the phone it is back up to 800kps+. They kept saying that a slow connection would cause the outgoing audio to cut out completely. Skype and Google Talk work just fine. I don't want to waste anymore time on it. I want to have clear phone calls and I want both sides to hear the conversation. It's a bit embarrassing when people now expect my phone to go out during the phone call. I'm glad the Ooma has worked for most people on this forum, but it's back to a normal phone line for me.
#105694 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 pm
sab193 wrote:It happened again the very next morning. I just got off the phone with Ooma level 3 support. At first they said it was due to my connection losing 20% of packets. I couldn't believe it so I ran pingtest while I was on the phone with them and had 0% loss during every test. Then they said it was due to my upload speed being 275kps when they require 384kps. It was only that low because I was using my Ooma to talk to them and using some of my upload speed. As soon as I got off the phone it is back up to 800kps+. They kept saying that a slow connection would cause the outgoing audio to cut out completely. Skype and Google Talk work just fine. I don't want to waste anymore time on it. I want to have clear phone calls and I want both sides to hear the conversation. It's a bit embarrassing when people now expect my phone to go out during the phone call. I'm glad the Ooma has worked for most people on this forum, but it's back to a normal phone line for me.

Please run Phonepower Speedtest and post the results per instructions below:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#105696 by sab193
Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:17 pm
thunderbird wrote:
sab193 wrote:It happened again the very next morning. I just got off the phone with Ooma level 3 support. At first they said it was due to my connection losing 20% of packets. I couldn't believe it so I ran pingtest while I was on the phone with them and had 0% loss during every test. Then they said it was due to my upload speed being 275kps when they require 384kps. It was only that low because I was using my Ooma to talk to them and using some of my upload speed. As soon as I got off the phone it is back up to 800kps+. They kept saying that a slow connection would cause the outgoing audio to cut out completely. Skype and Google Talk work just fine. I don't want to waste anymore time on it. I want to have clear phone calls and I want both sides to hear the conversation. It's a bit embarrassing when people now expect my phone to go out during the phone call. I'm glad the Ooma has worked for most people on this forum, but it's back to a normal phone line for me.

Please run Phonepower Speedtest and post the results per instructions below:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ____3272 kps____________
Upload Speed: _____846 kps___________
Download Consistency of Service ___96%_____
Upload Consistency of Service ____97%_____
Maximum TCP Delay _____65ms________
Jitter you server __1.2ms________
Jitter server you __0.4ms_______
Packet loss: you server___0%____
Packet loss: server you __0%____
Packet discards ____0%_____
Packets out of order ___0%______
Estimated MOS score __4.2______
#105702 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:33 pm
sab193:
The Phonepower Speed test results that you posted are great. There should be no problems. But there are.

I wonder if at different times of the day, if the Phonepower Speedtest results are different? Try running Phonepower Speedtest at different times a day to see if there are differences. Also run it when you have a one way conversation.

An intermetent Modem can do this sometimes.
Check your Modem owner's manual to see if there is a Modem Reset procedure. If so do the Modem reset procedure.

Note: some Modems contain batteries that will prevent a successful Modem Reset or Modem Reboot. Check you Modem owner's manual to see if the Modem contains a battery, and if so temporarily remove the battery per the owner's manual.

Then do the Modem factory reset or if there is not a factory reset procedure, do a Modem reboot. The make test phone calls.

The next thing to check is to access Ooma Setup. Now that you are connected Modem-Router-Ooma, you will have to temporarily connect a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. If there is Wi-Fi turned on in the computer, temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer. Then reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Select the Tools tab>Port Scan. Then select Basic Scan. List the ports that are shown as Denied Ports : in this forum thread.

(Sometimes the Internet provider will block certain ports. The Ooma device will often find an alternate port to use, but if that port is then needed by another application, that action will block the Ooma traffic).

Try temporarily connecting Modem-Ooma-Computer (with the Router temporaily disconnected) and do a basic scan again.
If only UDP 53 port is the only port showing as denied, shut off the computer. With the connection still Modem-Ooma only, test making and receiving calls, but this time with a different phone. Preferably with a corded phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port.

Next try dialing *98 or *96 before the number being called. Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

If after all of this, if you still have one way conversation, take you Ooma Telo to a friend or relatives home and test it there, using their Internet, their Modem, etc.
#105718 by sab193
Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 pm
Thank you for the quick and thorough reply! At this point I've already spent too much time on trying to figure it out. We've been experiencing the problem for about 4 months now. My wife is either going to throw me or the Ooma out the window. I'm picking the Ooma. :) A couple of minutes ago I signed up for a traditional landline. Thanks again for your help.
#105780 by jduffy
Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:45 pm
thunderbird wrote:
sab193 wrote:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, set the Quality of Service settings both to Zero.

I have a question on this, when you set both to zero, what actually is happening behind the scenes so to speak? How much up and down bandwidth will be used?

I have two Ooma Telo's. The one connected to the router with a CAT5 cable, I made this change and it reconnected to Ooma and all is well. Don't know if it has made that much difference yet and I will know Monday when I started using the home office again.

When I made that same change to the Telo that is our home phone and using the wireless adapter, it would not connect to Ooma unless I changed it back to 512 up, 0 down which was the previous setting.

So just trying to understand what is happening with those settings since as I understand it, Ooma only uses about 30 to 40 Kbps in both directions - so why all these setting changes?

Thanks,

Duffy
#105782 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:39 pm
jduffy wrote:
thunderbird wrote:
sab193 wrote:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, set the Quality of Service settings both to Zero.

I have a question on this, when you set both to zero, what actually is happening behind the scenes so to speak? How much up and down bandwidth will be used?

I have two Ooma Telo's. The one connected to the router with a CAT5 cable, I made this change and it reconnected to Ooma and all is well. Don't know if it has made that much difference yet and I will know Monday when I started using the home office again.

When I made that same change to the Telo that is our home phone and using the wireless adapter, it would not connect to Ooma unless I changed it back to 512 up, 0 down which was the previous setting.

So just trying to understand what is happening with those settings since as I understand it, Ooma only uses about 30 to 40 Kbps in both directions - so why all these setting changes?

Thanks,

Duffy

When using the Modem-Router-Ooma Connection, setting the Ooma Setup, Quality of Service settings to zero is supposed to turn off Ooma Quality of Service control.

There was a time when I was having problems with Quality of Service, so instead of setting the Ooma Setup Quality of Service settings to Zero, I set the Upstream and Downstream settings, both to a number higher then my Internet Upload and Download speeds. These settings worked very well for me and corrected my problems. Then my Internet provider increased the Upload and Download speeds, and then any settings that I used, didn't seem to make any difference in the Ooma phone system Quality of Service. After that I left the settings as you have, to the default settings.