This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#103482 by ericr74
Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:44 pm
I still have the problem. I see jitter between 4-15ms and once in a while a small amount of packet loss. Nearly a year ago I contacted my ISP several times and it was very hard to get anything done. They came, checked all connections, replaced a few wires, etc. But nothing really changed. After paying for them to visit twice I replaced my modem at my own expense. That did make the situation much better. But it seems my problems have returned; they just aren't as bad as they were with the old modem.

The modem signal levels all look fine every time I look at them. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Comcast was unwilling or unable (couldn't tell which) to install logging hardware last time when I complained. They said they can't do anything other than send a tech to my house, and that happened twice without anything fixed.
#103487 by murphy
Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:19 am
Comcast techs are not network engineers. They can only do what they have been trained to do. I doubt they even know what jitter is. The people that answer the Comcast 800 number don't know anything technical. They are script readers. They take a few keywords from your complaint and enter it into a database search. They then read you the answer that pops up. Unless you can get transferred to a higher level person that has technical training at the theoretical level you won't get much help.
#103510 by ericr74
Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:00 pm
I can concur with what you've said, murphy. It's been quite a struggle to connect with anyone other than first-level phone support and techs, who are accompanied by a $40 fee. I still haven't been able to get connected with anyone else.

I just submitted a request on DSL Reports; there's a section where Comcast employees supposedly monitor and respond. Hopefully that will get my issue resolved. Here's the link:
https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect
#103547 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:13 pm
ericr74 wrote:I can concur with what you've said, murphy. It's been quite a struggle to connect with anyone other than first-level phone support and techs, who are accompanied by a $40 fee. I still haven't been able to get connected with anyone else.

I just submitted a request on DSL Reports; there's a section where Comcast employees supposedly monitor and respond. Hopefully that will get my issue resolved. Here's the link:
https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

If you are using a Modem-Router-Ooma connection:
Some more things to check and try.
In Ooma Setup, Advanced page, the Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speed setting should be set to Zero.

Double check and make sure that MAC address is set to Use Built in. (Sometimes when there is a firmware update, the MAC address setting will revert back to Automatic MAC Address).

In your Router, reserve an IP address with a permanent lease for the Ooma device.

In you Router, check to see if there is an area where a priority can be set for VoIP devices or any connected devices, if so set the Ooma Telo to the highest priority.