This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#103157 by ericr74
Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:30 pm
I have two issues with voice quality using my Ooma Premier. I have my Telo wired between my cable modem and router. I have 20Mbps download and 3Mbps upload and a very stable connection without any dropouts. My ping times are sometimes a big on the long side (150ms), but I've had the cableco out three times and they say the connection is perfect.

1) Frequently the person on the other end (it doesn't matter who initiates the call) complains that my voice is dropping out, stuttering and sounds digitized. They can't make out all of what I'm saying. This seems to be new in the past month and is my most serious problem.

2) Every call has a one-time stutter about one second after the call starts. I hear the stutter on my Ooma connection. I'm not sure if the other end hears anything, but no one has told me they heard it.
#103158 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:35 pm
ericr74 wrote:I have two issues with voice quality using my Ooma Premier. I have my Telo wired between my cable modem and router. I have 20Mbps download and 3Mbps upload and a very stable connection without any dropouts. My ping times are sometimes a big on the long side (150ms), but I've had the cableco out three times and they say the connection is perfect.

1) Frequently the person on the other end (it doesn't matter who initiates the call) complains that my voice is dropping out, stuttering and sounds digitized. They can't make out all of what I'm saying. This seems to be new in the past month and is my most serious problem.

2) Every call has a one-time stutter about one second after the call starts. I hear the stutter on my Ooma connection. I'm not sure if the other end hears anything, but no one has told me they heard it.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

Next:
You could also reconnect Modem-Router Ooma and the would help also. You still need to set the MAC address from Automatic to Use Built In.
For this connection, the Ooma Setup Advanced page Upstream and Downstream Quality of Service settings are both set to Zero.

Or you could do the following:
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.
#103193 by ericr74
Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:12 am
Thunderbird, thanks for your help.

I had already selected "Use Built In" a year ago, so there are no changes to be made there.

Just curious, why would modem-router-ooma help? It's contrary to Ooma's advice. I can't do this long-term without more hardware. My router has four LAN jacks, and I'm already using all four. So I would have to buy a second router or else buy an Ooma wireless adapter (is this configuration as good as a wired connection?).

I ran the speedtest and changed my quality of service settings according to your advice. The upload QOS I already had was very close to the new value. The download QOS setting was zero, and now it is a large number.

I haven't had a chance to test the QOS settings changes yet, but will do so tonight.
#103194 by thunderbird
Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:41 am
ericr74 wrote:Thunderbird, thanks for your help.

I had already selected "Use Built In" a year ago, so there are no changes to be made there.

Just curious, why would modem-router-ooma help? It's contrary to Ooma's advice. I can't do this long-term without more hardware. My router has four LAN jacks, and I'm already using all four. So I would have to buy a second router or else buy an Ooma wireless adapter (is this configuration as good as a wired connection?).

I ran the speedtest and changed my quality of service settings according to your advice. The upload QOS I already had was very close to the new value. The download QOS setting was zero, and now it is a large number.

I haven't had a chance to test the QOS settings changes yet, but will do so tonight.

Connecting Modem-Router-Ooma will probably help.

If you view the current preferred Ooma Telo Quick Start Guide https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files ... G_2011.pdf Step 2, you will see that the now current Ooma Telo connection is Modem-Router-Ooma.

You could also purchase a four or eight port Switch and connect it to one of the Router LAN ports. Then connect other devices including the Ooma Telo to the switch. The Switch is a port multiplier, issuing additional Router IP addresses.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... %2Caps%2C0

Ooma Telo Firmware Version: 63430 which has been started, and will be "pushed" out to all Ooma Telo users over the next two to three weeks, will probably also help.
#103196 by ericr74
Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:53 am
Thunderbird,

Although you are correct that Ooma shows modem-router-Ooma in step two, in "Option A: Install Telo between modem and router", it says "Installing the Telo between your modem and router will result in the best voice quality". Why do you say connecting modem-router-ooma will probably help? I really don't mean to doubt you, but as you can see going forward with this option will cost me some money and yet another powered device. If I go this route, I'd have to decide between a cheaper router or switch vs. an Ooma wireless adapter which would allow me to put the Telo in a slightly better location.
#103200 by thunderbird
Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:46 am
ericr74 wrote:Thunderbird,

Although you are correct that Ooma shows modem-router-Ooma in step two, in "Option A: Install Telo between modem and router", it says "Installing the Telo between your modem and router will result in the best voice quality". Why do you say connecting modem-router-ooma will probably help? I really don't mean to doubt you, but as you can see going forward with this option will cost me some money and yet another powered device. If I go this route, I'd have to decide between a cheaper router or switch vs. an Ooma wireless adapter which would allow me to put the Telo in a slightly better location.

Using the current Ooma Telo firmware before Version: 63430, Ooma Forum users hand reported that changing to Modem-Router-Ooma connection has helped them.
I use the Ooma Telo Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle adpater, and it works great. This connection is considered a Modem-Router-Connection.

You have many options, or you can just wait for the Ooma Telo firmware verison that is being "pushed" out right now and see if that helps.

Another thing that maybe you haven't looked at is the Modem or Internet Signal.
See if your Modem has a Reset procedure by checking the Modem owner's manual. If so do the Reset procedure per Modem owner's manual, or do a reboot of the Modem.

Note: some Modems contain a battery that must be tempoarily removed to have a successful Reset or Reboot of the Modem, reference your Modem owner's manual.
#103201 by lbmofo
Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 am
ericr74, I suspect your internet quality not being up to par (could be line quality, could be simply the modem).

Check this Voice Quality Issue post: viewtopic.php?t=10023
#103231 by ericr74
Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:23 pm
thunderbird, I have Telo firmware 60080. So far the only substantive change I've made is an increase in my Downstream internet speed from 0 to 19578. Tonight I had a long phone conversation with people who have been complaining about my garbled voice. They said the entire conversation was clear. I'm not ready to say the issue is resolved, but for tonight it didn't show up. Hopefully that one change took care of the problem.

lbmofo, I compared the numbers from my speedtest and from my modem status to the expectations in your link. The only number out of expectation is my "Jitter: you -> server", which sometimes measures as high as 6.7. At other times it's much lower.
#103234 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:17 am
ericr74 wrote:thunderbird, I have Telo firmware 60080. So far the only substantive change I've made is an increase in my Downstream internet speed from 0 to 19578. Tonight I had a long phone conversation with people who have been complaining about my garbled voice. They said the entire conversation was clear. I'm not ready to say the issue is resolved, but for tonight it didn't show up. Hopefully that one change took care of the problem.

lbmofo, I compared the numbers from my speedtest and from my modem status to the expectations in your link. The only number out of expectation is my "Jitter: you -> server", which sometimes measures as high as 6.7. At other times it's much lower.

Resetting the Download speed probably had little to do with clearing up the problem, because you are not having a problem on your side of the conversation. Increaseing the Upload speed, may help, because the person on the other end of the line is having the problem hearing you.

If the outbound jitter is high at times, this could cause the problem. If the jitter is higher at times, then usually Packet problems also occur. The higher jitter is probably caused by your Modem.
#103236 by ericr74
Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:34 am
I'll keep watching the jitter number. I haven't seen it over 5 the last few times I've checked. I don't think it's my modem because I got a nice new one in March that greatly improved my Ooma sound quality. It's a Zoom 5341J, which is DOCSYS3 and is supposed to be a really good modem.