Poor Call Quality and Internet Speed With Ooma

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
jbishop

Poor Call Quality and Internet Speed With Ooma

Post by jbishop » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:58 pm

I have been using my Ooma for almost 2 years and within the past few weeks have had serious issues with the device disrupting my Internet connection. I have Comcast broadband for my internet. When Ooma is plugged in, I will get slow Internet and thus my Ooma phone calls are choppy and sometimes does not even work. I tried using the manual MAC address on the Ooma device that has been suggested and that DID NOT solve my problem. I have even tried different ethernet wires.

When it is setup as follows: Comast/Ooma/Router. I get 2 mbps download and .25 mbps upload.

When remove the OOMA device, and change it to be Comcast/Router, I get 20 mbps download and 5 mbps upload.

I am about ready to return it to Costco and get my money back.

murphy

Re: Poor Call Quality and Internet Speed With Ooma

Post by murphy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Connect the Internet port of the ooma to a LAN port on your router and leave the Home port of the Ooma unused.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lbmofo

Re: Poor Call Quality and Internet Speed With Ooma

Post by lbmofo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Like murphy says, connect your Ooma to the router instead.
Your problems maybe not power cycling everything properly in your network but connecting to router is the best way to go around the issue you describe.
Customer Since: 3/13/10
Hardware: Telo & Hub
Service: Premier 12/06/10
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: 100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: SB6141/R6700/Ooma
MainStreetSHARES Ebates: get Ca$h Back when you shop online!!